Re: [Icnrg-harmonization] NDN use of nameless Data

David Oran <daveoran@orandom.net> Tue, 06 September 2016 14:53 UTC

From: David Oran <daveoran@orandom.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 10:53:27 -0400
To: Ravi Ravindran <ravi.ravindran@huawei.com>
Cc: "icnrg-harmonization@irtf.org" <icnrg-harmonization@irtf.org>, Lixia Zhang <lixia@cs.ucla.edu>, Mark Mosko <Marc.Mosko@parc.com>, Alex Afanasyev <aa@cs.ucla.edu>
Subject: Re: [Icnrg-harmonization] NDN use of nameless Data

> On Sep 6, 2016, at 10:32 AM, Ravi Ravindran <ravi.ravindran@huawei.com> wrote:
>
> I agree with the distinction between link and locator, but in administered domains 'links' will most likely will  be used as locators, as you have absolute knowledge of the cache/storage, or the attachment point of the device etc. In this case, links can be given priority over the names in the Interest packet, and avoid trying to route on both these names simultaneously.

This to me illustrates very well why the term “locator” is really problematic in the context of ICN. Let’s get rid of it.
There are two related but separate functions:

a) how does a forwarder match an interest to either a local application or a cached copy of the data object.
b) how does a forwarder decide where to forward the interest if (a) above returns “not found”.
Neither of these requires anything like a locator.

A forwarder can use any information it has at its disposal to figure (b) out. It could have a useful LPM entry in its FIB matching a prefix of the name in the interest. It could consult an oracle. It could send the Interest to the CIA (who knows where the data is). If could send the interest to the NSA, who undoubtedly already has it. It could us a hint in the Interest message (e.g. a Link). None of these is a “locators”. Or perhaps they all are, in which case the term is equally usless.