Re: [icnrg] Some background on draft-oran-icnrg-flowbalance-00.txt

"David R. Oran" <daveoran@orandom.net> Sat, 03 August 2019 14:08 UTC

From: "David R. Oran" <daveoran@orandom.net>
To: "Naveen Nathan" <naveen@lastninja.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2019 09:13:35 -0400
Subject: Re: [icnrg] Some background on draft-oran-icnrg-flowbalance-00.txt

On 3 Aug 2019, at 7:41, Naveen Nathan wrote:

> (response off-list)

Do you mind if I post this reply to the list? These are really good
comments.

> I briefly read the draft. My CCNx/NDN is a bit rusty, so excuse my
> ignorance
> below.
>
> First minor corrections:
>   - "nunce" -> "nuance"
>   - "obver-" (allocation) -> "over-" (allocation)
>   - "reasonable algorithm is in sue" -> "[...] use"
>   - "Dealing with for malicious actors" -> minus "for"

Fixed in my local copy. Will re-post once more comments come in.

> Regarding the consumer under-estimating (i.e. too big objects), I
> think it
> might be good to elaborate on a different dimension such a lossy
> versus
> lossless protocols. E.g. video streaming can deal with a loss of a
> large
> object, and be informed of what to request in subsequent chunks. But
> this can
> get tricky with VBR style encoding. But perhaps this is actually a bad
> example
> since most video stream will use a manifest mechanism so requests
> would have
> accurate estimates.

The issue here isn’t the loss, since any dynamic congestion control
algorithm will either wind up under-allocating bottleneck links by a
large fraction, or occasionally allow buffers to overflow and drop
packets. I didn’t put much of a tutorial on basic congestion control
in the document since the reader is assumed familiar with the cited
references. What may be worth reiterating is that even congestion
control algorithm has an explicit fairness goal and associated objective
function (usually either min-max fairness or proportional fairness). If
your fairness is to be based on resource usage, pure interest counting
doesn’t do the trick, since a consumer asking for large thing can
saturate a link and shift loss to consumers asking for small things.

Does that make sense? Should the document say more about this?

> I also think you should mention that this mechanism can be used to
> inform a
> congestion control algorithm. I do note that this is explicitly
> mentioned in
> section 3.

Hmmm, maybe I need to be more direct?

> About section 3.4. where you describe interest aggregation. You
> recommend the
> second policy of giving a large object to correctly/over-estimating
> consumers,
> whereas underestimating consumers get T_MTU_TOO_LARGE (also does "MTU"
> make
> sense instead of "REQUEST"?). Shouldn't all consumers get it, if the
> link isn't
> congested? I think this T_MTU_TOO_LARGE should only be sent if there's
> contention on the link and insufficient bandwidth can be allocated.

That’s of course a possibility. I decided recommending the error for
the following reasons (which perhaps ought to be explicitly stated in
the spec):
1. The link can be congested quite quickly after the queuing decision is
made, especially if the data has a long link-occupancy time, so this is
a safer alternative.
2. The cost of returning the error is only one link RTT, since the
consumer can immediately re-issue the interest with the correct size and
pick up the cached object from the upstream forwarder’s CS.
3. I tried to completely avoid the issues of aggregate resource control
and the associated billing swamp, since returning the data raises the
messy issue of whether to “charge” the actual used bandwidth to the
consumer, or only the requested bandwidth through the expected data
size. The rabbit hole goes deeper if you add differential QoS to the
equation (another subject intentioanally not talked about in the
document for many reasons) as consumers “playing games” and
intentionally underestimating so their interests get satisfied when
links aren’t congested gets you into all the considerations of
malicious actors discussed later.

> As for my opinion: I really like it, it's a simple technique, and
> optional to
> consumers and routers. I hope Cisco IPR people can allow its use
> without
> restriction.

Thanks for the support! As long as the Cisco folks use their regular IPR
terms, for experimental RFCs the terms in the past have said “free to
use” for anybody complying with the spec as approved by the IETF/IRTF.