Re: [icnrg] I just submitted an update to my ICN QoSArch draft

"Thomas C. Schmidt" <t.schmidt@haw-hamburg.de> Mon, 18 November 2019 00:27 UTC

To: icnrg@irtf.org
From: "Thomas C. Schmidt" <t.schmidt@haw-hamburg.de>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 08:27:27 +0800
Subject: Re: [icnrg] I just submitted an update to my ICN QoSArch draft

Hi Dave,

as promised, here comes some feedback on the QoSArch draft.

Typos have already been spotted by Anil, so just a general remark on
capitalization: C/consumers and P/producers, also I/interest etc. are
not always treated uniformly.

The following is in chronological order:

Section 3.1:
   "There is per-Interest/Data state at every hop of
    the path and therefore for each outstanding Interest, bandwidth for
    data returning on the inverse path can be allocated."

IMO this sounds simpler than it is, even if the size of data chunks is
known. Traffic is returning with an unknown delay. More specifically,
traffic is governed by a stochastic rate equation, and stochastic
calculus tells us that delay and delay variation are first order terms.
At least in the current Internet, the delay variation attains the same
order of magnitude as the delay itself, thus making actual traffic
return rates hard to predict.

Section 4, Table 2: I guess this still needs some love ;)

Section 4:

  "1.  How do you create _equivalence classes_ (a.k.a. flows) of traffic
       to which different QoS treatments are applied?"

I understood that you aim for "equivalence classes" that are larger than
individual flows? ... see Section 6.1:

  "First and foremost, hierarchical names are a much richer basis for
    specifying equivalence classes than IP 5-tuples.  The IP address (or
    prefix) can only separate traffic by topology to the granularity of
    hosts, and not express actual computational instances nor sets of
    data."

-> strong agreement from my side ...

Section 6.3:

  "Such a QoS treatment for ICN could invoke
    native ICN mechanisms, none of which are present in IP, such as:
    ..."

I would suggest to add the option of "correlating cache utilization with
forwarding resources" to the enumeration.

Section 6.5:

   "For example, cached content for a given equivalence class
    can be considered _fate shared_ in a cache whereby objects from the
    same equivalence class are purged as a group rather than
    individually."

This seems to indicate that all content items of a given equivalence
class are governed by the same timing (belong to the same packet train),
which need not be the case.

   "In addition, since the
    forwarder remembers the QoS treatment for each pending Interest in
    its PIT, the above cache controls can be augmented by policy to
    prefer retention of cached content for some equivalence classes as
    part of the cache replacement algorithm."

I find this a bit hard to parse: Are you referring to additional cache
policy instructions in PIT state or to correlating PIT treatment with
cache replacement?

Section 7: Discussion of consumer/producer/operator roles

In the context of a larger (multi-AS) network, I must confess to be a
bit lost here ... or more specifically: hesitant.

I can follow with consumers keeping control over their access links and
maybe steering edge caching. It may also be tempting to enable producers
to characterize the nature of their content (even though this needs some
business model to prevent producers from just declaring every piece as
"highest priority"). I do see network operators in the role of
optimizing traffic dissemination/service w.r.t. their customers - the
latter getting complex, though, when looking at transit providers.

The current Internet situation is afaik that large content providers
make dedicated peering agreements with large edge providers to shuffle
their content to the consumers at improved service quality. Such
operations could translate to, e.g., cache reservations, but would be
subject to contracts between operators.

The maybe obvious interest to democratize content distribution services
on a more fine-granular, individual level (i.e., not as business
contracts between giants) seems like a huge remaining challenge.

I find this is extremely interesting, though, and we should aim for more
reflection and ideas in the near future!

Best,
  Thomas