[icnrg] Maximizing the utility of Manifests

"David R. Oran" <daveoran@orandom.net> Fri, 07 August 2020 14:29 UTC

From: "David R. Oran" <daveoran@orandom.net>
To: "Marc Mosko" <mmosko@parc.com>, "Christian Tschudin" <christian.tschudin@unibas.ch>, "Christopher Wood" <caw@heapingbits.net>
Cc: ICNRG <icnrg@irtf.org>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2020 10:29:25 -0400
Subject: [icnrg] Maximizing the utility of Manifests

I’m starting a new thread on this, since it’s coming at some of the
architectural choices from a broader point of view than what the
producers/consumers of application data may need in a Manifest. The
implications, if you buy into my general proposition, touch on a number
of aspects of Manifest design, including extensibility tradeoffs, what
goes into the base required functionality, and how we view both security
and privacy issues.

Here’s the basic premise. I believe we want Manifests to be useful to
any element that stores, fetches, or caches the content described by a
manifest. This includes both:

- Repositories (in NDN terms “Repos”) that provide non-volatile
storage of content produced elsewhere and act both as:
	- archival storage that can survive the temporary or possibly permanent
unavailability of the original producer of data
	- A form of distributed cache in which content can be replicated and
advertised into routing the same way the origin producer would.

- Forwarder Caches (Content Stores) that can provide various
optimizations beyond simple on-demand opportunistic caching to improve
latency and/or robustness to downstream consumers. This would include
watching for requested Manifests and in addition to caching them, using
information in the Manifest to pre-fetch content likely to be requested
by one or more downstream consumers.

Both of these require that Manifests have, I believe at a minimum, the
following characteristics:

1. Manifests have Name Constructors so that these non-application
elements are able to form Interests to fetch the content described in
the Manifest without knowing application-specific namespace conventions.

2. We have some generally understood annotations (or whatever we decide
to call this restricted form of metadata) to give hints about:
	- optimal/desirable fetch order
	- relative importance for availability when producer is either not
reachable or down
	- interdependence of pieces if partial and not total to help drive
cache replacement policies

3. Clear and simple binding to the “right” security context so that
there is not a complex explosion of signing and encryption keys. My
recommendation would to allow only two security contexts for Manifests
	- signed/encrypted by keys used for application data. Such data would
*not* be available to the intermediaries descried above.
	- signed/encrypted under by the keys used for the Manifest itself. Such
data would be available to any/all elements that are given the keys
associated with the names in the Manifest’s namespace.

4. any other goop in a Manifest (e.g. general application metadata) is
treated as if were any other transparently cached application data,
although I argue elsewhere against trying to support general application
metadata in Manifests.

So, as a top level question, do people think these are important and/or
reasonable requirements to accommodate in our Manifest architecture?

I’ll note that it is of course possible to design a completely
separate data structure and named elements for use by Repositories and
forwarders, but that seems to me to be way more complex than just
viewing manifests in this broader context.

DaveO