Re: [icnrg] Last Call: draft-oran-icnrg-qosarch

"David R. Oran" <daveoran@orandom.net> Tue, 11 February 2020 13:15 UTC

From: "David R. Oran" <daveoran@orandom.net>
To: Hitoshi Asaeda <asaeda@ieee.org>
Cc: ICNRG <icnrg@irtf.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 08:15:38 -0500
Subject: Re: [icnrg] Last Call: draft-oran-icnrg-qosarch

On 11 Feb 2020, at 6:22, Hitoshi Asaeda wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the late response.
> I have no concern about moving this forward,
Thanks!

> yet suggest to consider one thing.
>
> For the effective use of in-network cache, network coding is also
> helpful to improve the data transmission quality. I therefore
> recommend to add some statement explaining the way of its use or
> adoption with some references already discussing the advantages (or
> even difficulties) for ICN.

It is quite likely that network coding combined with caching can improve
overall performance, and the current internet draft on the subject
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-nwcrg-nwc-ccn-reqs/) does a
good job of justifying this.

Where I’d like some help is in articulating how NC might interact with
Quality of Service as I’ve defined it in this QoSArch document. Given
that my definition centers on penalizing some users in order to give
better performance to others, it’s not clear to me what effect the use
or non-use of network coding has on that, or more granularly which NC
parameters might get applied to one user’s data compared to
another’s in order to achieve that bias.

One somewhat related concern for this document is that it starts from
the point of view of QoS being a way to adjust link and cache resource
allocation to favor some data over other data. It might be problematic
to introduce discussions of network coding and its interaction with
congestion control here since that whole general area is still in flux
and the subject of some uncertainties (c.f.
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-nwcrg-coding-and-congestion/).

Thanks,
DaveO.