[icnrg] Finally, an updated FLIC draft

"David R. Oran" <daveoran@orandom.net> Sun, 07 November 2021 12:31 UTC

From: "David R. Oran" <daveoran@orandom.net>
To: ICNRG <icnrg@irtf.org>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 07:31:32 -0500
Subject: [icnrg] Finally, an updated FLIC draft

ICNRG folks,

The authors have finally gotten around to updating the FLIC draft, after
multiple rounds of work over an extended period. This is not final by
any means, and there are a number of notes in the draft on material that
needs to be added and further refined before we are ready for last call.
However, given that this has quite a few changes and re-written
sections, we would appreciate a thorough review by the RG participants,
as FLIC is a major piece of data structure work that has wide
applicability to ICN applications.

Among the important changes are:

- Completely re-done encryption section with two fully-worked-out
encryption encapsulations for different usage models
- Redesign of how FLIC is integrated into namespace schemas, with the
notion of “namespaces” in the old drafty replaced with a new way of
describing this though “name constructors”
- Extensibility scheme defined, with two kinds of extensions supported:
	- Manifest metadata extensions
	- pointer annotation extensions
- New security considerations section which also addresses privacy
- Re-worked introduction that decouples better from the i-node
historical analogy (while retaining it to help folks coming at FLIC for
the first time), and portions FLIc in terms of its experimental value in
ICN research.

We would appreciate all review comments, and especially text suggestions
for the places that still need to be fleshed out more.

Best Regards,
Dave Oran (for the FLIC authors)