[icnrg] RG Last call comments on the ICN in LTE, 4G document

"David R. Oran" <daveoran@orandom.net> Sun, 27 October 2019 15:27 UTC

From: "David R. Oran" <daveoran@orandom.net>
To: icnrg@irtf.org
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 11:27:51 -0400
Subject: [icnrg] RG Last call comments on the ICN in LTE, 4G document

These are my RG Last Call comments on draft-irtf-icnrg-icn-lte-4g, all
with <Chair Hat Off>. My apologies for the lateness of these comments;
hopefully they won’t contribute to any delay in progressing the work.
I have a two general comments, and a few detailed comments. These are:

##General Comments:##

- The technical content seems sound and from that perspective I believe
the work should be progressed to IRSG Review and toward eventual
publication. Note that my assessment is of someone with limited grasp of
the complexities of LTE networks, and hence there may be errors lurking
in here. I expect the cellular mobile knowledgeable ICNRG participants
will also have reviewed the draft and are comfortable with its
correctness. In other words, don’t rely on my assessment here.

- On the negative side, the writing is very uneven and contains a
plethora of English grammar and usage errors. The document needs a copy
editing pass from a native English speaker with technical documentation
skills. While we could perhaps have the current version progress as-is
for the IRSG review and wait for this to be done by the RFC production
center, it would be better to not saddle the IRSG with slogging through
the text as it now stands, given that the technical material is dense
and the document quite long at 37 pages. My recommendation is to find a
volunteer to do this if the authors do not feel comfortable doing this
themselves.

##Detailed comments:##

- On the top of page 10, you say “However, a common limitation of
these research efforts is that they focus on faster routing of Interest
request towards the content rather than the quality of experience based
on actual content delivery. For that to happen, QoS should be
implemented and enforced on the Data packet path.” I don’t know what
this is doing here. It isn’t terribly helpful to just invoke QoS.
It’s also not appropriate to bring QoE into this, as QoE is an
application layer concept. Lastly, there *is* current research on QoS
for ICN, so the statement isn’t all that accurate.

- On page 11, you say “The mapping of CoS to DSCP takes place at layer
2/3 switching and routing elements.” Isn’t it the opposite - the
DSCP is mapped to the COS rather than vice versa?

- On page 13, I’m not sure what you are trying to say with “The
content matching tuple uniquely identifies the correlation between an
Interest and data packet.” I don’t think correlation is the right
word. Please re-work to say something to the effect that the Interest is
matched against the named date subject to the tuple referred to above.

- A bit further down, while a detail and maybe not worth mentioning,
some loops are in fact suppressed through Interest aggregation only
loops that look like Interest retransmissions coming in through the same
ingress interface as an earlier Interest produce persistent looping that
has to be caught with the hop limit.

- On page 14, I’m not sure what you mean by “signed key”? In any
event the actual key is not usually in the data packet; only a key-id or
key locator.

- on page 17, what do you mean by “stored in the ICN node”? Is this
producers, repos, caches, or all of the above?

- On page 19, you assert the “main advantage of ICN is in caching and
reusing content”. I would disagree with this statement, and it isn’t
necessary to your argument that the work needed to convert LTE signaling
protocols to ICN might be a bad use of engineering and design effort.

- On page 21, it might be worth toning down the assertion that providing
a transport-level API that is comment for IP and ICN would result in no
impact on application programmers. While that might be true in a literal
sense, if you don’t give application programmers access to the
richness of ICN semantics (e.g. hierarchical names, trust schemas based
on those names, etc.) arguably much of the benefit of introducing ICN in
the first place is lost.

- On page 26, some requirements language is creeping in - you say
“eNodeB *shall* be upgraded…”. There may be other instances of
this, so I’d recommend a scrub to get rid of things that smack of
requirements language.

- On page 29, in the proposed test scenarios you say “EPC: Cisco
evolved Pack Core…”. I’d scrub this since one would not want a
test deployment specification to require a particular vendor’s LTE
implementation.

[End of comments]