Re: [icnrg] icnrg Digest, Vol 101, Issue 8

christian.tschudin@unibas.ch Mon, 10 August 2020 05:56 UTC

Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2020 22:55:52 -0700
From: christian.tschudin@unibas.ch
To: Marc Mosko <mmosko@parc.com>, daveoran@orandom.net, Ken Calvert <calvert=40netlab.uky.edu@dmarc.ietf.org>
cc: "icnrg@irtf.org" <icnrg@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [icnrg] icnrg Digest, Vol 101, Issue 8

Thanks for the discussion among us four. I'm not super happy about how
it goes so I will interject a meta contribution. The reason may be that
I start to see FLIC as a patch for something that an information centric
network should have had from the beginning, namely ample place to put
content _of any size_ and stream content of any size (duration) while
our discussion over and over nitpicks about how to stuff things into
packets .. oops, wrong word.

My take is that the discussion should be on size, random access and streaming.

- streaming? Not really as FLIC will only cover playback, cannot handle novel content
- random access? Will remain a library hack forever (1000 wrong ways), the network only cares about piecemeal delivery
- size? vblobs try to save at least this

I would like to first see the "surrogate API" that FLIC probably
implicitly tries to invent, starting from the producer side:

- simplest case is content copy and producer wants to help with speedup via parallel fetch. Let producer prepare metadata where suitable *pickup places* are, instead of byte-level random access.
- segmented data like DVD chapters? Use several FLICS (and an independent draft for directory-like content
- byte-level seek? Hm, too much stress with NDN/CCNx chunking. Or use NFN at producer-side where we have access to the flat content on disk, unchunked.
- republishing content under a new prefix: should we even talk about this? Not worth an API in FLIC: see directory-like content where it's natural that content can appear under a new name.

and so on. The "library destiny" of FLIC is currently a missguided
invitation to try to make everybody happy - let's trim that down. My
guess is that for NDN/CCNx (but also other networks), only full
content-copy or streaming tasks will remain in the long run (plus
interactive access i.e. NFN). Let's go for the minimal case: a FLIC
tailored for content copy via DFS, which at the same time is good for
streaming finite content. Or do you really want to work towards a
glorious FLIC-for-everything library, for fun or fame? I think that
"improvements" beyond above minimalist program will not be seen as such,
nor be necessary.

Best, c