[Id-event] AD review of draft-ietf-secevent-http-push-07

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Wed, 11 December 2019 00:36 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 16:36:14 -0800
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: draft-ietf-secevent-http-push.all@ietf.org
Cc: id-event@ietf.org
Subject: [Id-event] AD review of draft-ietf-secevent-http-push-07

Hi all,

Due to the unfortunate delay in AD evaluation from my personal
situation, I ended up being able to review push and poll side-by-side;
this results in a couple places where we may want to update push with
content from poll.  I've tried to keep such comments self-contained in
the per-document reviews, though I expect that both authors and I will
be consulting both documents during the course of the updates.

I think all of these should be fairly straightforward to address, so
hopefully we can kick off IETF LC before the new year.

While I agree with the note in the shepherd writeup that it's
appropriate to reference RFC 5246 specifically for TLS 1.2, we probably
also want to reference RFC 8446 as the "current generic TLS reference"
at least once.

Section 1

   A mechanism for exchanging configuration metadata such as endpoint
   URLs and cryptographic key parameters between the transmitter and
   recipient is out of scope for this specification.

I guess "cryptographic key parameters" was intended to be things like
JST signing keys, but we could equally be talking about TLS
certificates/CAs/DNS-IDs here as well, if we wanted.

Section 2

   o  The SET is authentic (i.e., it was issued by the issuer specified
      within the SET).

Does "recipient does not have issuer's public key" just get lumped into
the "not authentic" bucket?

   o  The SET Issuer is recognized as an issuer that the SET Recipient
      is willing to receive SETs from (e.g., the issuer is whitelisted
      by the SET Recipient).

   o  The SET Recipient is willing to accept the SET when transmitted by
      the SET Transmitter (e.g., the SET Transmitter is expected to send
      SETs with the subject of the SET in question).

We call out that we have to trust the issuer in general, and we have to
trust the transmitter to send for a given subject, but we don't
explicitly say anything about trusting the issuer to issue for that
subject.  There are, of course, many scenarios where no such check is
possible (e.g., when the subject is identified by the iss/sub pair and
not a globally unique 'sub' claim), but perhaps there are cases where
such a check is conceivable.  Do we want to say anything about it ("no,
because it's too complicated to accurately described" is okay)?

Section 2.1

   The "Content-Type" header of this request MUST be "application/
   secevent+jwt" as defined in Sections 2.2 and 6.2 of [RFC8417], and

I think we mean Sections 2.3 and 7.3 of that document.

   The mechanisms by which the SET Transmitter determines the HTTP
   endpoint to use when transmitting a SET to a given SET Recipient are
   not defined by this specification and are deployment specific.

Any TLS certificate validation procedures (when HTTPS is used) would
also be deployment-specific, of course, but do we think it's worth
mentioning them here anyway (to seed the idea of using TLS)?

The example in Figure 1 seems to not have an 'events' claim in the
transmitted JWT?

Section 2.4

Do we want to say anything about generic error-handling behavior when a
SET Transmitter receives an error code that it does not know about
(e.g., because that code has been allocated after the software was
written)?

   | authentication_failed | The SET Recipient could not authenticate  |
   |                       | the SET Transmitter from the contents of  |
   |                       | the request.                              |

Are only the contents of the request allowed to be used for
authenticating the Transmitter (as opposed to, say, TLS-layer
client-certificate authentication)?
(Note that this text also appears in Section 7.1.2.)

Section 3

It might be worth some discussion that for push, HTTP authentication
authenticates the transmitter, whereas for poll it authenticates the
recipient; workflows that need to authenticate the other party would
have to rely on TLS, it seems.

   The SET delivery method described in this specification is based upon
   HTTP and depends on the use of TLS and/or standard HTTP
   authentication and authorization schemes, as per [RFC7235].

Maybe reference RFC 2818 for "HTTP over TLS", to get parallelism of