Re: [Ideas] Diasambugating Identifier and Identity

Michael Menth <menth@uni-tuebingen.de> Tue, 25 April 2017 21:57 UTC

To: Alexander Clemm <alexander.clemm@huawei.com>, Robert Moskowitz <rgm-ietf@htt-consult.com>, "ideas@ietf.org" <ideas@ietf.org>
From: Michael Menth <menth@uni-tuebingen.de>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 23:57:03 +0200
Subject: Re: [Ideas] Diasambugating Identifier and Identity

Hi Alex,

thanks for your comments. I see your points. We possibly should avoid
specifying what exactly constitutes the identity as anything but its
identifier may change. We said, one identity may have several
identifiers, e.g., after a merging identities, but different identities
certainly have different identifiers.

When I think about an entitiy having multiple identities, a human being
with multiple email addresses comes to my mind. An email address may be
an identity to some extent, but we know that several of them may belong
to the same person. I don't think we need to consider that because that
is beyond the considered context of email addresses. We could just live
with different identities that are different in a certain context.

Another try:

An identity (Idy) is a distiguishable entity within a context.

An identifier (Idf) is a unique label.

An Idy may have multiple Idfs but different Idys have different Idys so
that Idys can be distinguished by their Idfs. Idfs often follow
construction rules.

Is that closer to a core definition or are mort important aspects missing?

Regards,

Michael