Re: [Ideas] Fwd: Fwd: Re: WG Review: IDentity Enabled Networks (ideas)

Robert Moskowitz <rgm-ietf@htt-consult.com> Tue, 03 October 2017 12:43 UTC

To: Uma Chunduri <uma.chunduri@huawei.com>, Christian Huitema <huitema@huitema.net>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "ideas@ietf.org" <ideas@ietf.org>
From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm-ietf@htt-consult.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2017 08:43:10 -0400
Subject: Re: [Ideas] Fwd: Fwd: Re: WG Review: IDentity Enabled Networks (ideas)

On 10/02/2017 08:30 PM, Uma Chunduri wrote:

> Hi Christian,
>
> In-Line [Uma]:
>
> --
>
> Uma C.

This is really hard.  One party has to have its identity in the clear to
start the control plane, otherwise you have this great DOS attack.  We
went through this discussion in the early days of HIP. This is why the
Responder's HIT is in the clear; the Initiator's can be hidden.  Well
the HI can.

But once you have state between the peers, much can be done.  With HIP I
have to change the HIT derivation to allow for a chain of HITs off the
HI that Eve cannot connect.  But this raises challenges for NAT traversal...

I can do this for HIP; I don't know, yet, how to make this general for
IDEAS.

Bob