Re: [Ideas] Kathleen Moriarty's Block on charter-ietf-ideas-00-06: (with BLOCK)

Robert Moskowitz <rgm-ietf@htt-consult.com> Tue, 10 October 2017 19:18 UTC

To: Kathleen Moriarty <Kathleen.Moriarty.ietf@gmail.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: ideas@ietf.org, ideas-chairs@ietf.org, aretana.ietf@gmail.com
From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm-ietf@htt-consult.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 15:15:32 -0400
Subject: Re: [Ideas] Kathleen Moriarty's Block on charter-ietf-ideas-00-06: (with BLOCK)

I am and have been on Jewish Holidays since Sept 20th and it continues
until Oct 16th.  But there is some time between all of the actual
Holidays to see how far I have fallen behind.

First:  I have a contract with Huawei to work on IDEAS and I believe I
have a track record of concern for and methods of addressing privacy.  I
plan on doing my best not to allow this item to slip even for ID/Loc
technologies that are not fundimentally security based.  With my work on
HIP, this whole area is one I have spent a lot of cycles thinking about
and how I would tackle it if people would pay me to work on it (see
start of this para).

Second:  Privacy is in the charter.  You want more privacy, work on the
documents.

Third:  I am in private conversations with companies that want me to
help develop point solutions that IDEAS is addressing in the broad. Only
one of which is really paying attention to privacy and security.  This
will happen, piecemeal, if the IETF does not get out in front of the
wave.  Another 4 month delay is not good.  One of the projects is in
final funding efforts.  And I think I am seeing only a piece of what
companies are out there trying to invent.

Fourth: Privacy concerns are in the charter.  I have a number of IDEAS
(pun intented) on how to build up a strong privacy model and still have
expectation that it will be deployed.

Finally, I am just one person, and can be run over by an IETF bus. It
has happened before.  I got ran over by the CANbus 25 years ago...

Bob