Re: [Ideas] IDEAS Chartering Result

Robert Moskowitz <rgm-ietf@htt-consult.com> Sun, 15 October 2017 01:43 UTC

To: Alvaro Retana <aretana.ietf@gmail.com>, ideas@ietf.org
Cc: Deborah Brungard <db3546@att.com>
From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm-ietf@htt-consult.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2017 21:43:34 -0400
Subject: Re: [Ideas] IDEAS Chartering Result

In a sense the funding issue is kind of interesting.  I remember past
efforts funded by principally one company...

In my case, I am being funded to do something I really wanted to do for
some years, but could not get backing to do it.  So actually it is the
other way around.

In large measure the organization does not understand privacy issues by
what they say are challenges.  Basically we really need to rethink use
of IP addresses.  Actually IPv6 makes this possible with multiple
addressing to a single host really working.  In theory.

Also it is not the case that the MAC address of a mobile device is for
traffic for that device.  More and more, mobile devices are acting as
hotspots. So there is already a n-1 mapping starting.  We leverage that
for ID/Loc.  Different IP address == Loc per host to start making
associations between one communication use with another.

Please schedule a BOF so we can get the community to really think about
what it will take for privacy in ANY workgroup in the IETF. Don't blame
IDEAS for the IETF's failure in this area.

I will work with others for a set of presentations while we work on the
charter.

Bob