I support HR3627

"Robert G. Moskowitz" <0003858921@mcimail.com> Wed, 09 February 1994 13:40 UTC

Date: Wed, 09 Feb 1994 07:37:00 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Robert G. Moskowitz" <0003858921@mcimail.com>
To: cantwell <cantwell@eff.org>
To: US president <president@whitehouse.gov>
To: US vice-president <vice-president@whitehouse.gov>
Cc: com priv <com-priv@psi.com>
Subject: I support HR3627

It seems to me that privacy in communications requires three things:

-  Authentication/non-reputiation
-  Guarantied data content
-  Encryption of data

Authentication/non-reputiation is not only a security item, i.e. am I
communicating with the person I want to, but also a legal issue.  If someone
says that they will do something in a non-reputiable message and doesn't,
they later cannot deny that they made the statement as it is non-reputiable.

The data content must be guarantied, as not only might it be maliciously
corrupted, but computer programs that forward data have been known to do
things wrong, and communication links have been known to alter a byte or
two.

Data encryption allows for private communications over public servers.

The Clipper chip only addresses the last item.  And then only over a
private, point-to-point link.  The Clipper chip on a third party provider's
communication link is no assurance that one of the data forwarding systems
on the data path has not been comprimised and my data is still being
'watched'.

There is an INTERNATIONAL, GATT based standard for EMail that addresses
this.  It is called X.509.  X.509 combines Public Key cryptography and
message hashing to meet all three requirements.  According to many people
that know the legal side better than me, X.509 has been agreed to by the US
government at a treaty level and thus needs to be supported and allowed by
the US government.  Thus the US government cannot take a unilateral position
of saying that the Clipper Chip technology is the only communications
security the public needs.

It is also incumbant on the US government to encourage its citizens to
produce the best X.509 products possible to maintain a competitive edge in
the messaging software arena.  Thus a bill like HR3627 is a key bill.

I know that there are limitations and implementation issues to X.509.  Also
X.509 does not well address real time and interactive communications.  There
are other efforts in various standard bodies that are addressing this;
Privacy Enhance Mail for INTERNET 822 mail, Kerberos (tm) security for the
Distributed Computing Environment to name two.  The US government needs to
nuture technologies like these; they meet critical needs of corporate users
of data communications.  And again Clipper chip technology does nothing for
them.

To this end, I ask the US government to pass HR3627 and to scale back the
Clipper Chip push.  The Clipper chip should be relegated to voice and fax
communication at best.  There are better, more functional technologies for
data communications.

Robert G Moskowitz
15210 Sutherland
Oak Park, MI 48237