Re: IETF/Interop Tokyo conflict

Phill Gross <pgross@ans.net> Fri, 14 January 1994 05:08 UTC

To: Scott Bradner <sob@harvard.edu>, Jeffrey Case <case@snmp.com>, Ralph Droms <droms@bucknell.edu>, Geoff Huston <g.huston@aarnet.edu.au>, Carl Malamud <carl@malamud.com>, Craig Partridge <craig@bbn.com>, David Piscitello <wk04464@worldlink.com>, Marshall Rose <mrose@dbc.mtview.ca.us>, Jeffrey Schiller <jis@mit.edu>
Cc: IETF Chair <pgross@ans.net>, ISOC President <vcerf@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>, IETF Secretariat <ietf-secretariat@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>, IETF <ietf@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>, Internet Architecture Board <iab@isi.edu>, Internet Engineering Steering Group <iesg@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>
Subject: Re: IETF/Interop Tokyo conflict
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 1994 00:06:38 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Phill Gross <pgross@ans.net>

> The Summer 1994 meeting of the IETF is scheduled for July 25-29, 1994.
> This conflicts with the Interop Tokyo Conference.

Scott, all,

It is regretable that the July 94 IETF meeting conflicts with the Tokyo
Interop meeting.  This is a serious issue and it will prompt us to add
even further checks to the system now used by the Secretariat to schedule
meetings.

The Secretariat already goes to considerable lengths to avoid conflicts,
including maintaining a substantial list of potential conflicting
events.  Still, I agree that we should add whatever additional checks
we can to try to avoid such conflicts in the future.

It is important for everyone to understand that scheduling IETF
meetings is not nearly as easy as it was just a few years ago.
Overall, the constraints on the Secretariat are now considerable.

The commitment by the host is greater, the meetings are larger,
and the resources required by the hotel are now more substantial.
As this community has grown, the number of potential conflicting
events has also mushroomed.  For example, Interop now has many
more conferences than it did just a few years ago.

In trying to reconstruct the chronology of events leading up to the
conflict, it actually looks to me like the two groups - Interop and
the IETF Secretariat - were working essentially in parallel
without a clear agreed upon channel of communication between them.
So, we at least we need to establish better lines of communication.

I'm not interested in trying to assign blame.  I'm more interested in
trying to figure out how we can minimize the possibility of other
conflicts in the future.  In the spirit of moving forward, let me make
some concrete suggestions.  I invite the community to help refine
the additional steps we should take.

o First, the IAB/IESG will help the Secretariat establish a list of
"can't conflict" events.

o We will then distribute this candidate list to the IETF list
for comment.

o The Secretariat will contact the organizations on the final "can't
conflict" list, and identify a specific point of contact with
each of the organizations.  The Secretariat and the POC's will
mutually agree how they will make information available to each
other.

o The Secretariat will use the final "can't conflict" list as firm
guidance when scheduling IETF meetings.  I know it is not satisfying
to hear this, but it is unlikely that, even with these additional
steps, we will be able to eliminate *all* conflicts in the future.
If a conflict looks to be unavoidable, the secretariat will alert the
IAB and IESG and present a list of reasonable alternatives.  The IAB
and IESG will help choose among this list of alternatives.

o Even in routine cases of no apparent conflict, the Secretariat
will explicitly make the IAB and IESG aware of the candidate dates
prior to signing a firm contract.  It will be the responsibility
of the IAB and IESG to respond in a timely fashion.  (These dates
have normally already been available in the <0mtg-sites.txt> file
in the IETF shadow directories and announced in the Internet Monthly
Reports and to the IETF-Announce list.  However, an explicit message
to the IAB and IESG, made as early as possible, will clearly also be
helpful.)

These extra steps, together with our current push to schedule meetings
18-24 months in advance, should help minimize conflicts.

It is extremely unfortunate, but, at this time, we cannot change this
particular conflict.  As some of you know, from private correspondence
in early December, the Secretariat has tried to change the dates
for the July 1994 IETF meeting, but other conflicts and the extent of
current planning (including significant financial and contractual
obligations) made it not feasible.

Please comment on the list of suggestions above.  I've discussed the
above suggestions with Steve Coya, IETF Executive Director (and manager
of the IETF Secretariat).   He is prepared to implement the above,
or other, steps to attempt to minimize conflicts in the future.

Phill Gross, IETF Chair