Re: URN Usage

"Harald T. Alvestrand" <Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no> Sun, 19 September 1993 00:17 UTC

To: Richard Wiggins <WIGGINS@msu.edu>
Cc: "William A. Weems" <wweems@oac3.hsc.uth.tmc.edu>, Uniform Resource Identifier discussion <uri@bunyip.com>
Subject: Re: URN Usage
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1993 00:24:08 +0200
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Harald T. Alvestrand" <Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no>

I don't see what the problem is.....
it seems rather clear to me that we want an URN that names intellectual
content - one which can be used in reference lists in journals and so on.

It seems also clear to me that we want URNs for any item that has unique
properties - such as the ASCII version of a PostScript text, or the
JPEG 20 Kbyte image of the Mona Lisa; again, because we need to refer
to them.

It should be painfully obvious that in some cases we need the ability
to walk back the chain of descent: ASCII descended from GIF descended
from PostScript != ASCII descended from French translation of PostScript.

But I believe this is part of URC, not URN; any protocol *really* using
URNs should have the ability to say "this object is created from URN
xyzzy".

                                   Harald A