Re: [Idna-update] [art] Comments on draft-faltstrom-unicode11-02

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Mon, 08 October 2018 19:58 UTC

Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2018 15:58:14 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>, Patrik Fältström <paf@netnod.se>
cc: nordmark@acm.org, Applications and Real-Time Area Discussion <art@ietf.org>, idna-update@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Idna-update] [art] Comments on draft-faltstrom-unicode11-02

--On Monday, October 8, 2018 09:06 -0700 Ted Hardie
<ted.ietf@gmail.com> wrote:

> Modulo Erik's comments, I think this is ready for publication.
> The instructions to IANA are clear and the rationale behind
> those instructions is laid out.
>
> I think we could ask for AD-sponsorship for this, but I also
> believe that the instructions could go to IANA now; at the
> very least, we could ask them to review.

Ted,

I'm sorry, but I disagree.  Patrik has, as far as I can tell,
done the job that the IAB asked him to do in his liaison
capacity to Unicode, but that job involves a number of
assumptions about how to proceed that interact with i18n
documents that the IETF has been unable to process.  If we
follow the precedent of RFC 6452, this document should be
processed as standards track even if it changes nothing.  It
would be wildly inappropriate for it to constrain the
conclusions the IETF could reach about those other documents.

My understanding coming out of the BOF at IETF 102 was that the
ART ADs were going to establish a directorate to determine how
i18n documents were to be handled and to start processing those
documents.  This document would make an entirely reasonable
addition to that directorate's queue.   However, if an progress
has been made on creating that directorate, much less having it
convene and discuss processing of documents, I seem to have
missed the announcement(s).

best,
   john