Re: [Idna-update] Question about ℀

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Wed, 08 August 2018 01:19 UTC

Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2018 21:18:53 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Shawn Steele <Shawn.Steele=40microsoft.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, idna-update@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Idna-update] Question about ℀

Shawn,

I can't figure out what you are talking about.

For starters, the text/plain (first) body part of your message
shows up here identified as
  text/plain charset=UTF-8
(and is transmitted in Base64.  That should be fine because my
system handles plain text messages with that charset just fine.
However, what I see instead of whatever you intended (I'm
assuming U+2100) is the traditional little box (which you
probably see below).

Then there is no USE_STD3_ASCII_RULES (or even
UseSTD3ASCIIRules, which is what appears in RFC 3490) flag in
IDNA2008, even in RFC 5895.   As far as IDNA2008 is concerned,
U+2100 has General Property So, which causes it to be DISALLOWED
for use in domain names, no "mapping step" (whatever that is)
needed or relevant.  Partially because of that, I don't know
what "the tables" you are referring to.

There is a "known list of this type of problematic characters",
but it is a subset, not identified separately, of the set of
characters that IDNA2008 classifies as DISALLOWED.  It includes
everything with General Property So including, notoriously, all
of the emoji.

So I either don't know what you are talking about, or you are
asking either about the preferred way to violate the standards
that the IETF has approved or how to conform to someone else's
standard.  For either of the latter, this may not be the right
place to ask.

best,
   john

--On Wednesday, August 8, 2018 00:21 +0000 Shawn Steele