Re: [Idnet] Intelligence-Defined Network Architecture and Call for Interests

Jérôme François <jerome.francois@inria.fr> Tue, 28 March 2017 18:27 UTC

To: Brian Njenga <iambrianmuhia@gmail.com>, Oscar Mauricio Caicedo Rendon <omcaicedo@unicauca.edu.co>, Sheng Jiang <jiangsheng@huawei.com>
Cc: "idnet@ietf.org" <idnet@ietf.org>
From: =?UTF-8?B?SsOpcsO0bWUgRnJhbsOnb2lz?= <jerome.francois@inria.fr>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 20:26:36 +0200
Subject: Re: [Idnet] Intelligence-Defined Network Architecture and Call for Interests

Hi,

Le 28/03/2017 à 20:06, Brian Njenga a écrit :

> I'm glad that the discussions​ on how to make AI/ML useful in the
> design of the internet's architecture are continuing, albeit under a
> different name. I'd like to participate remotely as well.
>
> I have a question that someone more thoughtful​ than I could answer:
> Are there research questions on how to anticipate network-threatening
> DDOS attacks, such as those coming from the Mirai botnet family, using
> ML? Even going as far as designing and standardising an efficient,
> secure network protocol for IoT devices. This is a complicated issue,
> which involves emerging markets, so I'm interested in useful ideas
> from any angle.

Regarding DDoS, I think we have to consider two angles even when
considering protecting the network. The flooding-like attacks (1) and
the most sophisticated attack that can highly degrade service
performance even with few packets (2) (and of course this also concerns
network service, even more than before with network softwarization which
puts network functions into VM, being thus more exposed than before in
my opinion).

For type 1, there are usually observable signs of a future attack
(without ML) in the hours or days before with an increasing load.
However even if you observe it, it is very hard to fully characterize it
and so prevent it to really happen. For type 2, you basically need to
predict what should be the load induced by a packet or flow when
considering the targeted service. Assuming you have no complete
knwoledge of the service, you can try to use some learning and
regression techniques to do it but assuming also that the trafic is
encrypted, the problem becomes more difficult.

jerome