Re: a question on policy gateways

村山優子 <murayama@theta.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp> Fri, 15 October 1993 04:21 UTC

To: idpr-wg@bbn.com
Subject: Re: a question on policy gateways
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1993 13:13:37 -0000
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: 村山優子 <murayama@theta.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp>

Woody, Danny, and Martha,

Thank you all for your informative replies.

The reason why I asked the question is this.
In Routing by Preference, the source or the destination
of a communication flow wants the traffic to take
the shortest paths in unfavoured ADs.
If there were multiple virtual links between ADs,
cost information of *inra-AD* paths would be required
to decide *inter-AD* paths in terms of policy gateways.

However, it seems a bit awkward that inter-domain
routing needs intra-domain information in
hierarchical routing.
On the other hand, I thought that we could collect intra-domain
cost information by means of network monitoring tools,
if it was not provided by the distributed inter-domain
routing information.

Danny:
Yes, we expected that a part of routing by preference
would be solved by idpr, because the source's preference
can be treated as a source's policy in idpr.
However, there is yet another part of the problem:
destination's preference.

We would not be able to attend IETFs, but would be interested
in presenting our research topic in the form of video tapes
(10-20 minutes).  Would that be possible?

Yuko