transit policies based on host sets

Shehzad Merchant <merchant@erg.sri.com> Wed, 22 July 1992 02:51 UTC

Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1992 19:46:03 -0700
From: Shehzad Merchant <merchant@erg.sri.com>
To: idpr-wg@bbn.com
Subject: transit policies based on host sets

In the IDPR configuration document, there is provision for
implementing transit policies based on host sets. However I am not
clear about the semantics of including a host set in a transit policy
specification.  If a host set is included in the TP specification does
that mean that that host set is to be excluded from routes traversing
the domain or does it mean that only hosts included in the host sets
mentioned in the TP are to be allowed to traverse the domain. Also
does it mean that the hosts in the host sets mentioned in the TP are
to be excluded ( or permitted) as source hosts or destination hosts or
both.

As far as the Route Server Query Protocol goes, in the ROUTE REQUEST
message type I see no provision for indicating the source and
destination hosts to the route server. In order to be able to compute
routes in the presence of TPs specifying host sets, the route server
should know the source and destination hosts for the request so that
it can compute valid routes.

Inputs anyone?

-Shehzad