digital signatures and message digest algorithms

Martha Steenstrup <msteenst@bbn.com> Sat, 13 March 1993 21:42 UTC

To: mccurley@cs.sandia.gov
cc: idpr-wg@bbn.com
Subject: digital signatures and message digest algorithms
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 93 16:36:33 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Martha Steenstrup <msteenst@bbn.com>

Hello Kevin,

Thanks for pointing out the error in the text.  (However, the error
was not caused by a misunderstanding of the capabilities of one-way
hash functions, but rather by a sloppy use of terminology.)  In my
mind, I equate message digest algorithms with both the one-way hash of
the message and the digital signature (a la RSA) computed over the
hash function.  Hence, I used (incorrectly) the MD(x) terminology to
encompass both the hash and the signature.  However, as you correctly
point out, MD(x) technically refers to the hash function only.  I will
make the text precise.

Thanks,
Martha