unavailable virtual gateways

Martha Steenstrup <msteenst@bbn.com> Tue, 26 May 1992 01:05 UTC

To: woody@sparta.com
cc: idpr-wg@bbn.com
Subject: unavailable virtual gateways
Date: Mon, 25 May 1992 21:02:08 -0400
From: Martha Steenstrup <msteenst@bbn.com>

Hi Woody,

Unavailable virtual gateways should not have an effect on the routing
information database.  Rather, as I said in my previous message, a
route server can use information about unavailable virtual gateways to
flush routes that traverse such gateways from its route database (i.e.
route cache).  To use this information, the route server would have to
keep track of the routes in which each virtual gateway is included,
and I know that the prototype software doesn't do this.  But I think
this cache clean up is a function that a route server may well want to
have.

I have no problem with removing the list from the Dynamic message.
But we should not forget the usefulness of this information in keeping
the routing database current, and hence we should have an efficient
way of extracting the unavailable virtual gateways from the routing
information contained in Configuration and Dynamic messages.