[Idr] Mirja Kühlewind's No Objection on draft-ietf-idr-bgp-ls-segment-routing-ext-15: (with COMMENT)

Mirja Kühlewind via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Fri, 31 May 2019 09:47 UTC

From: Mirja Kühlewind via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-idr-bgp-ls-segment-routing-ext@ietf.org, Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>, aretana.ietf@gmail.com, idr-chairs@ietf.org, shares@ndzh.com, idr@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 02:47:56 -0700
Subject: [Idr] Mirja Kühlewind's No Objection on draft-ietf-idr-bgp-ls-segment-routing-ext-15: (with COMMENT)

Mirja Kühlewind has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-idr-bgp-ls-segment-routing-ext-15: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-ls-segment-routing-ext/

COMMENT:

There is the following statement on the applicability of this approach in the
security consideration section:

“The SR traffic engineering
   policies using the SIDs advertised via BGP-LS are expected to be used
   entirely within this trusted SR domain (e.g. between multiple AS/
   domains within a single provider network).  Therefore, precaution is
   necessary to ensure that the SR information advertised via BGP-LS
   sessions is limited to consumers in a secure manner within this
   trusted SR domain.”

As this is every essential to the scope of the document I would like to see
this earlier in the document, e.g. in the intro, and own applicability section,
or even in the abstract.

One additional comment on the shepherd write-up:
I find the write-up a bit confusing but I assume that this document has wg
consensus, even though it might be rough. There is a request to the IESG to
make a judgment if this approach should be taken forward in general. However,
if there are no technical or security concerns here and there is wg consensus,
I don’t think I understand this request; expect this is not seen as covered by
the charter, however, I don’t think this is indicated in the shepherd write-up.