Re: [Idr] IDR Charter discussion

Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org> Fri, 14 June 2019 17:52 UTC

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2019 13:53:07 -0400
From: Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org>
To: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
Cc: idr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Idr] IDR Charter discussion

Sue,

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 03:51:03PM -0400, Susan Hares wrote:
> The IDR Charter was last revised in March, 2010.
>
> Somethings we might include are:
>
> ..         BGP Yang modules,
>
> ..         A general BGP Layer 3 auto-configuration or liveness,
>
> ..         Additional  tunnel features for a optional tunnel encapsulation (a
> follow-on to draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps),
>
> ..         Upgrade of the base BGP specification to Full Standard,
>
> ..         Flow specification additions,
>
> ..         BGP-LS basic functions (e.g.
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ketant-idr-rfc7752bis/>
> draft-ketant-idr-rfc7752bis-00) error handling
>
> ..         Segment routing additions to BGP,
>
> ..         Wide Communities and other "bigger" communities ,
>
> ..         Revisions to Existing features.

I'm supportive for these.

One item I'd suggest for consideration is a mechanism to handle the dynamic
provisioning of new address families.

IDR currently has two drafts that overlap this space:
draft-ietf-idr-bgp-multisession
draft-ietf-idr-dynamic-cap

However, I consider both drafts to be problematic or over-broad for the
specific issue.  IMO:
- Multisession lets you spin up new sessions to handle segregation of
  address families, but complicates how routes learned across each session
  interact.
- Dynamic capabilities is overly general and has been noted to be
  problematic.  (Previous e.g.: what happens if you toggle graceful restart
  or add-paths?)

I don't suggest a solution in this mail and merely note covering proposals.
Having a targeted charter item would be useful.

-- Jeff