[Idr] draft-uttaro-idr-bgp-persistence-00

Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net> Sun, 23 October 2011 21:32 UTC

Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 23:32:20 +0200
From: Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net>
To: "idr@ietf.org List" <idr@ietf.org>
Subject: [Idr] draft-uttaro-idr-bgp-persistence-00

Authors,

Actually when discussing this draft a new concern surfaced which I would
like to get your answer on.

The draft in section 4.2 says as one of the forwarding rules:

    o  Forwarding to a "stale" route is only used if there are no other
       paths available to that route.  In other words an active path
       always wins regardless of path selection.  "Stale" state is always
       considered to be less preferred when compared with an active path.

In the light of the above rule let's consider a very simple case of dual
PE attached site of L3VPN service. Two CEs would inject into their IBGP
mesh routes to the remote destination: one marked as STALE and  one not
marked at all. (Each CE is connected to different PE and each PE RT
imports only a single route to a remote hub headquarter to support
geographic load balancing).

Let me illustrate:

  VPN Customer HUB

    PE3      PE4
         SP
    PE1      PE2
     |        |
     |        |
    CE1      CE2
     |        |
    1|        |10
     |        |
    R1 ------ R2
          1

CE1,CE2,R1,R2 are in IBGP mesh. IGP metric of CE1-R1 and R1-R2 are 1 and
R2-CE2 is 10.

Prefix X is advertised by remote hub in the given VPN such that PE1 vrf
towards CE1 only has X via PE3 and PE2's vrf towards CE2 only has X via PE4.

Let's assume EBGP sessions PE3 to HUB went down, but ethernet link is
up, next hop is in the RIB while data plane is gone. Assume no data
plane real validation too. /* That is why in my former message I
suggested that data plane validation would be necessary */.

R1 has X via PE1/S (stale) and X via PE2/A (active) - it understands
STALE so selects in his forwarding table path via CE2.

R2 has X via PE1/S (stale) and X via PE2/A (active) - it does not
understand STALE, never was upgraded to support the forwarding rule
stated above in the draft and chooses X via CE1 (NH metric 2 vs 10).

R1--R2 produce data plane loop as long as STALE paths are present in the
system. Quite fun to troubleshoot too as the issue of PE3 injecting such
STALE paths may be on the opposite site of the world.

The issue occurs when some routers within the customer site will be able
to recognize STALE transitive community and prefer non stale paths in
their forwarding planes (or BGP planes for that matter) while others
will not as well as when both stale and non stale paths will be present.

Question 1: How do you prevent forwarding loop in such case ?

Question 2: How do you prevent forwarding loop in the case when customer
would have backup connectivity to his sites or connectivity via
different VPN provider yet routers in his site only partially understand
the STALE community and only partially follow the forwarding rules ?

In general as the rule is about mandating some particular order of path
forwarding selection what is the mechanism in distributed systems like
today's routing to be able to achieve any assurance that such rule is
active and enforced across _all_ routers behind EBGP PE-CE L3VPN
boundaries in customer sites ?

Best regards,
R.