Re: [Idr] draft-ietf-idr-bgpls-srv6-ext - 2 week Early Allocation Call [6/2 - 6/16/2019]

"Susan Hares" <shares@ndzh.com> Mon, 03 June 2019 14:32 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: "'Acee Lindem (acee)'" <acee@cisco.com>, "'Ketan Talaulikar (ketant)'" <ketant@cisco.com>, idr@ietf.org
Cc: draft-dawra-idr-bgpls-srv6-ext@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2019 10:31:46 -0400
Subject: Re: [Idr] draft-ietf-idr-bgpls-srv6-ext - 2 week Early Allocation Call [6/2 - 6/16/2019]

Acee:

Good question.   There is clear interest in implementing these drafts, and lots of valuable input on the drafts has been accepted.

Per https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7120#section-3.1,  (which refers to section 2 text below), the WG needs to determine:  clear technical specification, stability, and interest in implementation.    While John and I feel these drafts are ready for early allocation, some WG members may have a good technical reason for considering the draft to be “unclear” or “unstable”.   A 2 week WG call provides the period for comment (public or private) to the WG chairs.   After that, Alvaro usually makes his determination within week.

IDR used to have more volatile arguments, but as IDR WG chairs (like LSR) allow the period of comments – the volatile arguments seem to have diminished.

Sue

----------------------------------

Per section 2 of RFC7120:

 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7120#section-2> 2.  Conditions for Early Allocation

   The following conditions must hold before a request for early

   allocation of code points will be considered by IANA:

   a.  The code points must be from a space designated as "RFC

       Required", "IETF Review", or "Standards Action".  Additionally,

       requests for early assignment of code points from a

       "Specification Required" registry are allowed if the

       specification will be published as an RFC.

   b.  The format, semantics, processing, and other rules related to

       handling the protocol entities defined by the code points

       (henceforth called "specifications") must be adequately described

       in an Internet-Draft.

   c.  The specifications of these code points must be stable; i.e., if

       there is a change, implementations based on the earlier and later

       specifications must be seamlessly interoperable.

   d.  The Working Group chairs and Area Directors (ADs) judge that

       there is sufficient interest in the community for early (pre-RFC)

       implementation and deployment, or that failure to make an early

       allocation might lead to contention for the code point in the

       field.