Re: [Idr] Fw: Re: New Version Notification for draft-xie-idr-mpbgp-extention-4map6-00.txt

Chongfeng Xie <xiechf@chinatelecom.cn> Fri, 20 January 2023 05:05 UTC

Sender: xiechf@chinatelecom.cn
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 13:05:10 +0800
From: Chongfeng Xie <xiechf@chinatelecom.cn>
To: Gyan Mishra <hayabusagsm@gmail.com>
Cc: donggz <donggz@chinatelecom.cn>, idr <idr@ietf.org>, idr-chairs <idr-chairs@ietf.org>, xing <xing@cernet.edu.cn>
Subject: Re: [Idr] Fw: Re: New Version Notification for draft-xie-idr-mpbgp-extention-4map6-00.txt

Hi Gyan,
Thank you for your comments and suggestions, my feedback inline please.

From: Gyan Mishra
Date: 2023-01-19 13:10
To: Chongfeng Xie
CC: donggz; idr; idr-chairs; xing

Hi Chongfeng

 I read the draft and it’s a quite an interesting solution ipv4aas service offering.
[Chongfeng]: Thank you!

As this relates to ipv4aas as I think it maybe a good idea to run by 6MAN and v6OPS and compare with to existing 4to6 Nat translation solutions such as 464XLAT, DSLITE etc.
[Chongfeng]: The approach in this new draft provides IPv4aaS mainly at the transit core which may be composed of multiple ASes, it does not compete with 464XLAT or DS-List,but can work with these technologies to form an overall end-to-end IPv4 aaS solution.

Also comparatively how from a complexity and state maintenance and management overhead perspective to IPv4AAS solutions.
[Chongfeng]:  I agree with you, this comparative analysis should be valuable, it can be done later.

For the translation database on the PE nodes would that be 1-1 host entires?  I did not understand the translation or encapsulation which are different method used by the draft.
[Chongfeng]:   This draft is about extention to MP-BGP for IPv4 delivery over multi-domain IPv6-only networks, the core of approach is IPv4/IPv6 adderss mapping with the granuality of IPv4 address block, and the ratio of IPv4 to IPv6 is 1:1.  Although encapsulation and translation are different mechanisms, they can share the same rule-based address mapping algorithm, the only difference lies in the packet format, the egress PE can recover IPv6 packets to IPv4 one based on the next header value.  Of course, this is out of the scope of an IDR draft.

This draft is doing a 1-1 4to6 mapping I believe which is not really translation or encapsulation.  Maybe it’s not clear to me.
[Chongfeng]:   My feedback is the same as above.

Kind Regards

Gyan

Thank you again for your comments and questions.

Best regards
Chongfeng