[Idr] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps-20: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Mon, 30 November 2020 16:15 UTC

From: =?utf-8?q?=C3=89ric_Vyncke_via_Datatracker?= <noreply@ietf.org>
To: "The IESG" <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps@ietf.org, idr-chairs@ietf.org, idr@ietf.org, John Scudder <jgs@juniper.net>, aretana.ietf@gmail.com, Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>, shares@ndzh.com
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 08:15:53 -0800
Subject: [Idr] =?utf-8?q?=C3=89ric_Vyncke=27s_No_Objection_on_draft-ietf-?= =?utf-8?q?idr-tunnel-encaps-20=3A_=28with_COMMENT=29?=

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps-20: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps/

COMMENT:

Thank you for the work put into this document.

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points, and one generic nit.

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

== COMMENTS ==

-- Abstract --
A very generic comment about the abstract that is mainly about RFC 5512. I find
it a little surprising as it describes the protocol that this document
obsoletes... I would have preferred an abstract describing what this document
does w/o citing RFC 5512 (except of course at the end of the abstract).

-- Section 1.4 --

It is a little unclear what "these deficiencies" are ? Perhaps add a reference
to previous section 1.2 ?

-- Section 3 --
Would it be easier for the reader to either have a summary table of all sub-TLV
types or repeat the type code in all sub-section headings?

-- Section 3.2.1 and 3.2.2 --
While the assumption of a 48-bit MAC address is correct in 2020 (barring
FireWire, IEEE 802.5.14), it also limits the usability of this document to a
set of data-link layers.

Should the length of the "Reserved" field be specified ?

-- Section 3.3 --
Should the value of IPv6 Flow Label or any IPv6 extension header (e.g., hop by
hop or destination headers) be specified ?

-- Section 3.6 --
If not mistaken, RFC 8669 is only about SR-MPLS. So, I wonder whether the
authors also think to add a similar feature for SRv6 ?

-- Sections 5 & 12 --
Unsure whether this paragraph is really useful, isn't it implicit ? (I am of
course fine in either case)

== NITS ==

I find the choice of "encapsulation sub-TLV" a poor choice as it can easily be
confused with "encapsulation TLV" (section 2) but I guess the train has left
the station ;-)