Re: [Idr] WG Adoption call for draft-wang-idr-rd-orf-05.txt (2/4/2021 to 2/18/2021)

Aijun Wang <wangaijun@tsinghua.org.cn> Mon, 15 February 2021 10:27 UTC

From: Aijun Wang <wangaijun@tsinghua.org.cn>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 18:27:30 +0800
Cc: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>, idr@ietf.org
To: Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net>
Subject: Re: [Idr] WG Adoption call for draft-wang-idr-rd-orf-05.txt (2/4/2021 to 2/18/2021)

Hi, Robert:

Aijun Wang
China Telecom

> On Feb 15, 2021, at 16:59, Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net> wrote:
>

> > But it seems adding RT information can’t still solve the situation described in https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-wang-idr-rd-orf-05#section-5.1.1(Figure 3).
>
> I am not sure what is yr definition of "solve" - but sending RD3_RT3 tuple will be no worse then sending RD3 alone. And in many situations as I illustrated before (hub and spoke case) will actually prevent unreachability across VRFs.

[WAJ] Yes, adding RT information within the current RD-ORF encoding can certainly increase the accuracy of the offending VPN routes.
But in situations described in Figure 3, RD3/RT3 is same for VRF1/2/3. If only one of VRF reach the VPN prefixes limit, it should not influence otherVRF. In such situation, the RD-ORF message should still not be triggered by the PE device, even we use the RD/RT tuple.

> > don’t know why it selected new SAFI NLRI approach.
>
> Because ORF is NOT transitive. ORF has no concept of loop prevention.

[WAJ] ORF is route policy to BGP neighbors. It should not be transitive. It does not announce the reachable information, nor the nexthop change, why to consider loop prevention?

> It *only* works p2p. Propagation of received ORF entries is something we should explicitly forbid in ORF spec.
[WAJ] Yes. The p2p mode is fine for ORF message. No need to propagation. Every node should determine based on its own condition.

> Maybe time for a -bis.
> And the objective of RTC is to build a controlled distribution graph of information across ASNs. That is why this draft https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chen-bgp-ext-community-orf-02 did not progress.

[WAJ] RTC is used to announce “what I want”, it has no mechanism to express “What I don’t want”, which the ORF mechanism jump in.

Then, considering your suggestions, I think adding RT information to current RD-ORF encoding is the appropriate approach, instead of changing the concept/procedures of RTC.