Re: [Idr] Alia's AD review of draft-ietf-idr-ls-distribution-10

"Susan Hares" <shares@ndzh.com> Wed, 30 September 2015 17:42 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: 'Alia Atlas' <akatlas@gmail.com>, 'Adrian Farrel' <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 13:42:17 -0400
Cc: "'idr@ietf. org'" <idr@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-idr-ls-distribution@ietf.org, 'Alia Atlas' <akatlas@juniper.net>
Subject: Re: [Idr] Alia's AD review of draft-ietf-idr-ls-distribution-10

Adrian:

One procedural and one technical question.  Did you intend a date of June 4, 2015?  If so, why?

Technical:  Do you believe that sections 6.1.1 and sections 6.1.5 are sufficient to describe what happens if the extra NLRI do not get sent the private infrastructure of route-reflectors   Sections include below from -11.

Sue Hares

WG chair hat on

 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-ls-distribution-11#section-6.1.1> 6.1.1.  Operations

   Existing BGP operational procedures apply.  No new operation

   procedures are defined in this document.  It is noted that the NLRI

   information present in this document purely carries application level

   data that has no immediate corresponding forwarding state impact.  As

   such, any churn in reachability information has different impact than

   regular BGP updates which need to change forwarding state for an

   entire router.  Furthermore it is anticipated that distribution of

   this NLRI will be handled by dedicated route-reflectors providing a

   level of isolation and fault-containment between different NLRI

   types.

 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-ls-distribution-11#section-6.1.5> 6.1.5.  Impact on Network Operation

   Frequency of Link-State NLRI updates could interfere with regular BGP
   prefix distribution.  A network operator MAY use a dedicated Route-
   Reflector infrastructure to distribute Link-State NLRIs.

   Distribution of Link-State NLRIs SHOULD be limited to a single admin
   domain, which can consist of multiple areas within an AS or multiple
   ASes.