Re: [Idr] flowspec enhancements

Haoweiguo <haoweiguo@huawei.com> Mon, 28 September 2015 11:15 UTC

From: Haoweiguo <haoweiguo@huawei.com>
To: Wesley Eddy <wes@mti-systems.com>, "idr@ietf.org" <idr@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 11:14:54 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.135.23.94]
Cc: Justin Dailey <Justin@mti-systems.com>
Subject: Re: [Idr] flowspec enhancements

Hi Wesley,
Glad to see both of us think that matching tunneled flow is necessary for BGP flowspec application.
In the draft of 'draft-hao-idr-flowspec-nvo3', classic BGP Flowspec matching method is used for overlay encap, the method is semantic dependant. The routers need to understand every field's meaning in BGP Flowspec message.
However, in your draft, a new "Offset-Value-Mask" approach was proposed, the method is semantic agnostic. The routers don't need to understand the specific meaning for each field, so theoretically it has great scalability.  However, your solution will incur additional security issue, the security problem space will be totally different with current BGP flowspec mechanism. Also, your method can be used to replace all current BGP flowspec documents, because all current BGP flowspec documents assume the routers need to know the exact meaning of each field in BGP flowspec message.

I think you should ask IDR WG firstly if it suitable to use 'semantic agnostic' method for all BGP flowspec application.  If your solution has not been adopted by WG, we had better use current mechansim('semantic dependant') to design the solution for overlay tunneled flow matching.

Thanks,
weiguo