Re: [Idr] draft-ietf-idr-as0-00 ?

Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net> Thu, 01 December 2011 21:50 UTC

From: Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 16:50:49 -0500
To: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists@gmail.com>
Cc: idr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Idr] draft-ietf-idr-as0-00 ?

[ Changed subject to reflect new title ]

On Dec 1, 2011, at 3:38 PM, Christopher Morrow wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Nov 13, 2011, at 8:30 PM, Enke Chen wrote:
>>
>>> Support, but with the following suggestions:
>>>
>>> 1) Nit: change "bgp listener" to "bgp speaker".
>>
>> Thank you, done.
>>

>>> 2) The following language is not very precise.  Due to the incremental nature, we will need to remove the existing route too.
>>>
>>> -----
>>>    a BGP
>>>    listener MUST NOT accept an announcement which has an AS number of
>>>    zero in the AS-PATH attribute, and SHOULD log the fact that it has
>>>    done so.
>>> -----
>>>
>>>    How about the following:
>>>
>>>    An UPDATE message that contains the AS number of zero in the AS-PATH attribute
>>>    MUST be considered as malformed, and be handled by the procedures specified in
>>>
>>> draft-ietf-idr-optional-transitive-04.txt
>>>
>>> 3) If this draft is adopted, we should also add AS 0 as one of the error conditions in
>>> rfc4893bis.
>>
>> John also provided some text for that section and Keyur suggested that we log and treat as a WITHDRAW.
>>
>> This would read as:
>> "This document specifies that a BGP speaker MUST NOT originate or propagate a route with an AS number of zero.  If a BGP speaker receives a route which has an AS number of zero in the AS_PATH attribute, it SHOULD be logged and treated as a WITHDRAW."
>>

> a question came up recently (today) on nanog about how AS0 should be
> treated wrt AGGREGATOR attributes... Should this say use of AS0
> anywhere (make a list perhaps?) is verboten? (or was that assumed
> already?)

Actually Keyur Patel already pointed out the Aggregator (and AS4 Aggregator) attribute issue, and I included text in the WG version of the doc, which I posted recently (although I have just realized that I entered the text as "Aggregator" and not "AGGREGATOR", same for AS4...)

Which reminds me -- would folk please review draft-ietf-idr-as0-00 ( http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-as0-00 ) and provide feedback?
I *think* that I incorporated everyones comments, although I accidentally overwrote the changed version with an older version (never edit a file in two editors at once :-)) and so may have missed some...