Re: [Idr] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-pmohapat-idr-acceptown-community-01.txt

"John G. Scudder" <jgs@bgp.nu> Wed, 30 April 2008 15:30 UTC

From: "John G. Scudder" <jgs@bgp.nu>
To: Ilya Varlashkin <Ilya.Varlashkin@de.easynet.net>, Danny McPherson <danny@tcb.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:30:01 -0400
Cc: idr <idr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Idr] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-pmohapat-idr-acceptown-community-01.txt
Sender: idr-bounces@ietf.org

Danny:

I get that you have a bad feeling about the idea.  Can you provide
some specifics, though?  As far as I can tell, the proposed extension
is safe (for the same value of "safe" as the rest of the
protocol...).  See also my comments below regarding defaulting it off.

Ilya:

The main point of your comments seems to be "I would never configure
my network that way".  You also make some assumptions about the
organizational structure of the network operator.  Of course, nobody
would ever try to force you to adopt this model.  The question is why
you think others shouldn't be allowed to configure their networks that
way.

With regard to some of your other points, I think the proposed feature
should be only be enabled if configured, i.e. the default should be
the current behavior.  The draft should be updated to say this
explicitly.  As long as it defaults to off, usage of the feature
becomes a "consenting adults" thing.  As for your observations
regarding specific deployments (e.g., disabled client-to-client
reflection) I think it's reasonable to ask that the network operator
know what they're doing before enabling the feature and will avoid
using configurations which are broken!  This is no different than the
situation today, since the possibility to configure the protocol in
broken ways has always existed, nor is it unique to BGP.

Finally, I don't agree with this point:

> Usually RR's do not have specific VPN's defined and just relay routes
> based on generic BGP rules. ACCEPT_OWN will require RR to be aware at
> least of some VPN's (many in fact, else it doesn't make sense). This
> will require extra work on RR part, extra data structures, code,
> meaning
> more opportunities for things to go wrong.

In fact, very little new RR code would be required to take advantage
of the feature.  The RR needs to be able to match on an RT, add an RT,
and add the well-known community.  Matching and adding RTs (which are
just extended communities) and adding other communities is existing
functionality.  This requires additional configuration, but little or
no new code.

Regards,

--John