Re: [Idr] Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on draft-ietf-idr-bgp-flowspec-oid-14: (with COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Fri, 04 June 2021 22:45 UTC

Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2021 15:44:44 -0700
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: "Juan Alcaide (jalcaide)" <jalcaide@cisco.com>
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-idr-bgp-flowspec-oid@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-idr-bgp-flowspec-oid@ietf.org>, "idr-chairs@ietf.org" <idr-chairs@ietf.org>, "idr@ietf.org" <idr@ietf.org>, Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>, "aretana.ietf@gmail.com" <aretana.ietf@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Idr] Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on draft-ietf-idr-bgp-flowspec-oid-14: (with COMMENT)

Hi Juan,

Also inline

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 07:04:05PM +0000, Juan Alcaide (jalcaide) wrote:
> Thanks for following up with the comments.
> Please, check inline
>
> -J

My proposal is that some sites (but definitely not all) might want to only
allow the route-controller to originate the FS while not originating the
actual route.  Yes, it might apply to other address families as well, and
whether or not that means that we should not mention the possibility at all
in this document is not entirely clear to me.  I would (perhaps naively)
hope that we could have just a brief hint or mention of the possibility
even without going into much detail about it.

> > "
> > Would there ever be cause to have a knob that allows this condition
> > only for the empty AS_PATH  (and denies this condition when AS_CONFED_SEQUENCE is present)?  From skimming RFC 5065 I mostly assume not, but have to ask...
> > "
> >
> > I guess you mean if it's possible that an AS_PATH with just
> > AS_CONFED_SEQUENCE is not automatically validated (and we have to
> > still validate with unicast paths). As long as all the peers belonging to the confederations of ASes are trusted, there is no need to validate with unicast paths and better not to do this because then the congruent topologies assumption described later would fail.
> > I guess it's conceivable that a confederation of ASes is formed by
> > subAS not trusted between each other (perhaps during some weird AS adquisitions?) and you may need a knob. But I'd think this is out of scope. IT's a bit related to the other paragraph you are having rpboelms with "Using the new rule ...".
> > I'll remove it because it's confusing while discussing just an uncommon configuration.
>
> I don't think you should take my comment as a suggestion to remove the AS_CONFED_SEQUENCE case, my apologies if I gave that impression.  Part of my job as a security reviewer is to look for edge cases, and this is one that I had to ask for more data about before I was confident enough to dismiss it as irrelevant.
>
> [JUAN]: Great. Hope it's clear now.

Yes, thank you.

> > "
> > This document updates the route feasibility validation procedures for
> >    Flow Specifications learned from iBGP peers and through route
> >    servers.  This change is in line with the procedures described in
> >    [RFC8955] and, thus, the security characteristics equivalent to the
> >    existing security properties of BGP unicast routing are maintained.
> > "
> >
> > I think this is explained later. We are assuming iBGP peers as trusted
> > as a first assumption, but later we explained that if that assumption
> > is broken, then we actually are introducing a new security risk. I
> > thought it was clear that way. That's the paragraph you want to
> > remove, so I am not sure how you want to say both things:  equally secure in the common case where iBGP peers are secure, less secure if iBGP peers are not secure.
>
> I wasn't saying we should remove this text!  I just wanted to add a word, so that we have security characteristics "roughly equivalent" or "essentially equivalent" to the existing security properties.
>
> [JUAN]: Sorry, I was referring to the paragraph that you didn't understand starting with
> " Using the new rule to validate a Flow Specification route received
>       from an External Border Gateway Protocol (eBGP) peer belonging to
>       the same local domain (in the case of a confederation) is out of
>       the scope of this document."
>
> It's not actually the one you wanted to remove, but the one we discussed in another thread about removing and we compromised to reword it.

Ah, I understand now; thanks for clarifying.

> Instead of 'roughly/essentially', what about using the last rewrite suggested in the comments
>
>     The security considerations discussed in <xref target="RFC8955" /> apply to this
>     specification as well.  <<=== I'd like to move this paragraph to the beginning of the 'Security Considerations>
>
>     This document updates the route feasibility validation procedures for Flow Specifications
>     learned from iBGP peers and through route servers.  This change is in
>     line with the procedures described in <xref target="RFC8955" /> and, thus, security
>     characteristics remain essentially equivalent to the existing security properties of BGP
>     unicast routing, except as detailed below.  <<===  After 'except' we list the caveats.

This looks good to me (including reordering the paragraphs); thank you!

> > "
> >    route servers may suppose an operational challenge.  If the condition
> >    of the peer is unknown, the rule SHOULD not be enforced.
> > "
> >
> > For several other comments, the agreement/compromise was to rewrite it
> > as follows
> >
> > "This risk
> >    is impossible to prevent if the Flow Specification route is received
> >    from a route server peer.
> >    If configuration (or other means beyond the scope of this document)
> > indicates that the peer is not a route server, that optional rule
> > SHOULD be enforced. If the indication is that the peer is not a route server or there is no conclusive indication, that optional rule SHOULD NOT be enforced.
> > "
>
> This is probably tolerable.  (I prefer to have "no conclusive indication"
> imply "SHOULD enforce the rule" but expect few others to agree.) I was hopeful that we could use a phrasing that is not specific to just "a route server peer" and instead talked about a peer that is trusted in a specific way, since that seems to me to be the most important part.  Many of the phrasings that I can come up with are pretty long and banal, so I won't suggest them.  The most promising one I've come up with (which is a relative term only) involves introducing a new logical capability, the ability to advertise flowspecs without the best route, and then talking about peers that are trusted with that capability.  It would still be pretty long, though.
>
> [JUAN]: Not sure what is your logic..  When you don't know if the peer is a route-server or a non-route-server, then you **SHOULD NOT** enforce the rule. If you enforce the rule and it happens to be a non-route-server, then everything is ok. If it happens to be a route-server, then that peering breaks.
> Not sure what you mean 'flowspec without the best route', but I think it's orthogonal to the recommendation here.
> We still may modify a bit this paragraph because of some other comments. I'll cc you if so.

I think we can close this topic; it's basically just the long-standing
divergence where security wants to "fail safe" by denying things that
cannot be determined to be valid or invalid, and routing wants to "fail
safe" by keeping the packets flowing.

Thanks again,

Ben