Re: [Idr] BGP MIB v2 input

Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com> Mon, 26 March 2007 04:50 UTC

From: Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
To: idr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Idr] BGP MIB v2 input
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 06:50:37 +0100
Versions: dmail (linux) 2.7/makemail 2.14

It may be worth breaking this down into areas of limitation of the
current MIB:

1. v6 peer support
2. v6 and other NLRI support
3. 4-byte AS support
4. extra counters desired
(Others?)

#1 can be taken care of with a rev of the peer table using
the InetAddressType/InetAddress TCs.

For #2, I have a somewhat radical proposal, which is to eliminate
the reporting of the BGP table contents via SNMP.  The radical
replacement would be a "lookup request" which you do by writing
an AFI, SAFI, NLRI to a lookup table, specifying whether you want
longest match or all matches, and you read the results from a
lookup results table.

(a few reasons for this change:
a) It's not very efficient to have an SNMP table with 200k+ rows;
b) It's hard to represent, e.g., VPN routes; and
c) You probably want to know "what routes do you know for
this destination", which is not easy to answer even with the
existing indexing, since "destination" is probably a /32 and
the prefix in the table is probably not)

#3 is straightforward, especially since between #1 and #2
we're probably changing most of the places you see an
AS number anyway.

#4 is straightforward too if we know exactly which counters are
useful.

Although there are problems that the original BGP MIBv2 effort
tried to solve that aren't on my list, I'd propose ignoring them
for now in order to make *some* progress.

  Bill