Re: [Idr] Thoughts on https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-hares-idr-bgp-registries-01.txt

"Susan Hares" <shares@ndzh.com> Tue, 21 March 2017 16:01 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: 'Eric C Rosen' <erosen@juniper.net>, adrian@olddog.co.uk
Cc: idr@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 11:55:58 -0400
Subject: Re: [Idr] Thoughts on https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-hares-idr-bgp-registries-01.txt

Eric:

Politics: I do not know how this introduces politics - since it is just the
WG chairs.  The WG chairs for BGP related groups are very collaborative.  If
they are not collaborative, the ADs can work with or replace the WG chairs.

How does it speed up things?  It provides 8 designated experts which means
IANA does not have to chase down a few people (2-3).   This is the most
often reason for IANA slow-downs (AFAIK).  The collaborative chairs can
decide on a rotation for a designated person to check up with other chairs.
The new datatracker review process could automate that process. If you think
this should have a time limit (for example - 2 weeks), I agree.  I also
believe it should run concurrent with other processes.  This process should
start after the AD review considers document worthy and it MUST start no
later than IETF LC (2 weeks).   With these additions, I do not think it will
slow down the process.

Have I responded to all your concerns?  If you think these mitigate the
problems, I will provide a revision to the draft that specifies these
changes.

Sue