Re: [Idr] Thoughts on https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-hares-idr-bgp-registries-01.txt

"Susan Hares" <shares@ndzh.com> Thu, 23 March 2017 17:52 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: 'Eric C Rosen' <erosen@juniper.net>, "'John G. Scudder'" <jgs@juniper.net>
Cc: 'Adrian Farrel' <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, idr@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 13:46:39 -0400
Subject: Re: [Idr] Thoughts on https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-hares-idr-bgp-registries-01.txt

Eric:

Thank you for your return comments with helpful suggestions:

1)      IETF consensus trumps  DE opinion -   If you are suggesting that the
WG chair(s) that sponsored a draft should not be the Designated Expert.
Good idea.

2)      Adequate review -  If you wish it to be a single working group
assigning BGP code points, the WG chair/document shepherd method works.  By
this comment, we would need to select one WG to approve standardization of
BGP code points.  My proposal at IETF 97 was that IDR was such a WG since
BGP base specifications (e.g., RFC4271) were started there.  My alternate
proposal of shared responsibility among the BGP-focused chairs is the
bgp-registries.

3)      On reviewing Shepherd's work - sounds like you would be a useful
reviewer for documents.  Please volunteer.

4)      On code point squatting, operators had real problems with the
current situation.   Job said "automatic checks on drafts",  Sue said "IETF
Standard + DE of BGP chairs where IETF Consensus wins" - Got any alternate
solutions.  Got any alternate suggestions?

Sue Hares