[Idr] New ID and request for time slot

Brian Dickson <briand@ca.afilias.info> Tue, 05 February 2008 23:50 UTC

Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 18:46:52 -0500
From: Brian Dickson <briand@ca.afilias.info>
Subject: [Idr] New ID and request for time slot
Sender: idr-bounces@ietf.org

I've put together a new draft, with the (ambitious!) goal of addressing
a few of the outstanding BGP issues:
- wedgies
- persistent oscillations
- path hunting.

I've included most of the supporting examples for the first two, which
are clearly smaller in scope.

I'll be doing more work (between now and IETF-71) to produce example
cases for the path hunting problem (w.r.t. the new draft).
My hope is this can reduce the level of induced churn caused by path
hunting.

I'd respectfully request a slot in Philly to present this material.

Comments are obviously welcome, as well as any pointers to tools for
evaluating path hunting behavior.

Obviously, adding new attributes isn't something to be done lightly, but
if the results are compelling enough, it may be an appropriate path to take.

I'd appreciate it if we can first look to see if the results are
compelling, before getting into whether they are compelling enough. :-)

Thanks,

Brian Dickson