Re: FSM changes for the Draft-15

Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@nexthop.com> Tue, 13 November 2001 20:54 UTC

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 15:34:52 -0500
From: Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@nexthop.com>
To: Alex Zinin <azinin@nexsi.com>
Cc: Susan Hares <skh@nexthop.com>, idr@merit.edu, Yakov Rekhter <yakov@juniper.net>
Subject: Re: FSM changes for the Draft-15
Sender: owner-idr@merit.edu

Traditionally (and my biggest argument to do it this way), we
should document the states (noting the start state),
the transition function and make sure that its deterministic.
By that I mean that "do nothing/ignore" is simply a transition to
the same state.

Additionally, I don't think anything as documented have any "in actions".
Do you disagree?

Documenting "state actions" would be a nice thing, but potentially
dangerous.  For example, it would be nice to document what happens
in the magic box marked "Established" but that goes beyond what
most people want to see - i.e. events on the wire.

A good argument to avoid documenting the black boxes is the
extension mess we'd get into by trying to extend the contents of
those boxes for all BGP extensions such as route refresh, graceful
restart, etc.  By focusing on some basic internal events that are
required to get a pair of bgp speakers peering and then focusing
on events to keep that peering up we avoid limiting implementations
by over-specifying the internals.

--
Jeff Haas
NextHop Technologies