Re: [Idr] Lars Eggert's Discuss on draft-ietf-idr-bgp-ls-registry-04: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com> Thu, 25 March 2021 14:15 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: "'Ketan Talaulikar (ketant)'" <ketant@cisco.com>, 'Lars Eggert' <lars@eggert.org>, 'The IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: idr@ietf.org, idr-chairs@ietf.org, draft-ietf-idr-bgp-ls-registry@ietf.org, adrian@olddog.co.uk
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 10:15:37 -0400
Subject: Re: [Idr] Lars Eggert's Discuss on draft-ietf-idr-bgp-ls-registry-04: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Ketan and IESG:

<WG chair hat on>
Ketan has correctly summarized the WG discussion.  The WG goal is to enable
the 2 implementations to occur prior to standardization, and to allow the
implementations to keep those values.

If other WGs have not seen this problem, perhaps it is because they do not
require 2 implementation before standardization.  We are adding this
additional registry work to make this process easier for the implementers.
<WG chair hat off>

[personal opinion]
If the process occasion creates a conflict, I believe it is worth the risk.
It is critical to get early implementations of protocols with stable values.
Running code and rough consensus is a slogan I truly believe in.

Sue