Re: [Idr] Adoption of draft-varlashkin-bgp-nh-cost-02 as IDR WG document?

Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net> Sat, 26 November 2011 17:21 UTC

Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 18:21:25 +0100
From: Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net>
To: "UTTARO, JAMES" <ju1738@att.com>
Cc: "idr@ietf.org List" <idr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Idr] Adoption of draft-varlashkin-bgp-nh-cost-02 as IDR WG document?

James,

 > First of I do not anticipate having to send more than two paths for
 > almost all cases.

Great that you said this. As tier 1 I have 25 paths for each b_net. I
have a path for each of my peering point with other tier1s or tier2s

How do I figure which ones are optimal for the client or group of
clients located in the same POP from the route reflector pov ?

With add-paths or without add-paths the problem to be solved remains
exactly the same.

Problem goes away only in the following cases:

- if you have only 1 path for all prefixes,
- if you have only 2 paths max for all prefixes,
- if you decide to send _all_ my domain external paths to all clients ..
in the above case 25 paths ! Sorry ... bad idea.

 > The AIGP metric is used to carry the "cost" to the NH of the path..

AIGP is completely irrelevant here. In fact it is a pretty poor design
choise to choose a path for all clients based on AIGP metric or IGP
metric from the point of view of control plane route reflector in a
given AS.

Keep in mind that AIGP is relevant only when number of ASes are under
the same administration. Not that common case in the Internet :)Usually
folks do know how to run single AS globally without any issues.

The problem which needs to be solved is to provide information to the RR
in order for RR client to be able to receive optimal paths - optimal for
example to follow hot potato routing requirements in a given AS.

If one would follow AIGP metric some control plane RR clients may
clearly get not optimal exit paths from the AS they reside point of view.

Best,
R.