Re: [Idr] 2 week WG LC for draft-ietf-idr-shutdown-02 (1/17 to 1/31/2017)

Matthew Walster <matthew@walster.org> Fri, 27 January 2017 23:21 UTC

From: Matthew Walster <matthew@walster.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 15:21:19 -0800
To: Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org>
Cc: idr@ietf.org, draft-ietf-idr-shutdown@ietf.org, Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
Subject: Re: [Idr] 2 week WG LC for draft-ietf-idr-shutdown-02 (1/17 to 1/31/2017)

On 27 January 2017 at 13:38, Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org> wrote:

> I believe the draft should cover both administrative sub-codes.

​While I'm hesitant to consider this a perfect idea due to the fact that
there are mechanisms within BGP to make this a non-disrupting event not in
such explicit need of notification​ similar to a shut down event, such as
graceful restart, end-of-rib markers etc, there is the possibility of a
reset occurring and the BGP session not restoring as intended with a
notification from the remote side or indeed a TCP reset should the speaker
not be willing/ready to accept the new connection. At which point, it would
be good to have the shut down communication message to reference the
intended action, reference a contact point etc.

I'd support a widening of the draft to include the additional code point
(Cease/Administrative Shutdown and Cease/Administrative Reset).

Indeed, could not all Cease sub-codes use this method? For instance:

         1        Maximum Number of Prefixes Reached

The notification could provide a link to a filter update site, or an email
address for the NOC to take further actions... Or to indicate whether or
not the connection is moved into an error state with no future connections
allowed until the error is cleared by an operator.

         3        Peer De-configured

Likewise, this could be supplemented with a message when the session is
being deconfigured and moved to another router.

         6        Other Configuration Change

This has always been difficult to interpret, and has very recently been
something I've been butting up against. A vendor supplied string detailing
the exact change mechanism that caused this would be welcome.

There is obvious scope-creep at this point, I would like to suggest either
the draft considered as-is or to allow all Cease sub-codes to have shutdown
communication possible.

The rest of the draft itself seems well written, easy to understand, and
even unamended would be a welcome addition to the internet operators
toolkit.

Matthew Walster