Re: [Idr] Adrian Farrel's Abstain on draft-ietf-idr-as-migration-03: (with COMMENT)

"Susan Hares" <shares@ndzh.com> Thu, 19 February 2015 14:48 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: 'Adrian Farrel' <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, 'The IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 09:48:12 -0500
Cc: morrowc@ops-netman.net, idr@ietf.org, draft-ietf-idr-as-migration.all@ietf.org, idr-chairs@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Idr] Adrian Farrel's Abstain on draft-ietf-idr-as-migration-03: (with COMMENT)

Alvaro and Adrian:

It's nice to have you chime in on this draft.  As IDR chair, may I ask we remove the draft from the IESG agenda today.  I'll need some unpacking of your reasoning.

Are you looking for a major rewrite of this draft or to scrap this effort?

If you are looking to scrap the effort, I need additional details on why.  It has been discussed by SIDR, Grow and IDR to be valuable for the BGP deployments. This draft provides reasoning for the SIDR work on AS migration.  Your reasoning is that the "mechanism that BGP implementation can use to provide the behavior" below .. seems to suggest it should not be documented.  New BGP implementations are arising in DC, Mobile backend networks, and Carriers that utilize these features so interoperable features are necessary.

If you are looking for a complete rewrite, I'm happy to work with you, Alvaro, Alia and the authors to find a new acceptable form of the draft(s).

My understanding is that you want to split to:

Informational Draft:
- Requirements for and circumstances of AS migration,
- Behavior needed from a BGP system when migrating AS numbers,

Mechanism (RFC)
- Mechanisms that a BGP implementation can use to provide the
  Behavior [mechanism in RFC]
- Description of the mechanisms and configuration options contained in
  specific implementations [mechanism draft appendix, non-normative]

If this is your desire, I will be happy to take this back to the authors and the WG to create this draft.

Sue