Re: [Idr] Joel Jaeggli's No Objection on draft-ietf-idr-ix-bgp-route-server-11: (with COMMENT)

joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com> Tue, 14 June 2016 16:34 UTC

To: Nick Hilliard <nick@foobar.org>
From: joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 09:34:09 -0700
Cc: idr@ietf.org, idr-chairs@ietf.org, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, shares@ndzh.com, draft-ietf-idr-ix-bgp-route-server@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Idr] Joel Jaeggli's No Objection on draft-ietf-idr-ix-bgp-route-server-11: (with COMMENT)

On 6/14/16 9:09 AM, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> Joel Jaeggli wrote:
>> I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why path hiding would be a
>> considered an undesirable property of an MLPE routeserver.
>
> Because in certain circumstances, if you have two paths A and B to a
> leaf node L, and path A decides to block access to L via the IXP, A's
> policy action acting on the RS will also block path B.  There are no
> circumstances that I can imagine where this would be a desirable outcome.

IF L is a customer of A and B sure. If it's L's policy that's doing the
blocking and you're not winning unequivically on as path length due to
prepending then a  desired result, (not transiting the exchange) is
achieved.  (this isn't really hypotethtical as at least one of my
transit providers has been known to leak our anycast prefixes via mlpe
sesssions at an exchange where we are also present) eventually I won't
use them.

For me as a prefix originator,  the difference is the ability to
advertise prefixes on the MLPE and not, e.g. it's effectively unusable
without that property.