Re: [Idr] New Draft Notification draft-knoll-idr-qos-attribute-00.txt

"Thomas M. Knoll" <knoll@etit.tu-chemnitz.de> Mon, 09 June 2008 19:45 UTC

Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 21:45:24 +0200
From: "Thomas M. Knoll" <knoll@etit.tu-chemnitz.de>
To: Robert Raszuk <raszuk@juniper.net>
Cc: idr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Idr] New Draft Notification draft-knoll-idr-qos-attribute-00.txt
Sender: idr-bounces@ietf.org

Thank you, Robert, for this fast reply.

The point of this draft is not to signal single QoS markings for /32
prefixes but rather to make the class set and class encodings on different
layers seen to all ASes (not only neighbouring ones).
Those QoS Marking Attribute (one per class and layer) would now been
associated with the possibly long list of NLRI IP prefixes of different
sizes.

If a traffic source now wants to send ftp traffic and voice traffic to one
of these prefixes, the sending AS could now see which class set will be
supported by the targeted AS and which encoding the next hop neighbour AS
will be using for this class.
So, the assumption of having all traffic now beeing marked as voice is not
true. The sending AS is free to choose its marking as it is today. But it
can now make an informed decision on how to possibly remark its own DSCP
at the egress to fit best the available class set along the forwarding
chain.
If neighbouring ASes support equal class encodings (which they are now
informed about by means of the attribute), the neighbour's incress layer 4
or higher layer classification can even become redundant with this new
approach.

As far as previous QoS attribute contributions are concerned, I have found
some drafts, which specified certain delay, bandwidth etc. parameters
within the attributes, but I did not find a draft, which mentioned to
convey the QoS marking for different technologies.
So I take your advice, that I should have mentioned those drafts in order
to make clear, that my approach is not about QoS parameter signalling but
rather about QoS marking signalling.

I hope this resolves some concerns and I thank you again for your fast
feedback.

Regards,
Thomas