Re: [Idr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-idr-flowspec-interfaceset-01.txt

<stephane.litkowski@orange.com> Fri, 10 June 2016 09:23 UTC

From: stephane.litkowski@orange.com
To: Lucy yong <lucy.yong@huawei.com>, "idr@ietf.org" <idr@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 09:23:26 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.3]
Subject: Re: [Idr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-idr-flowspec-interfaceset-01.txt

Hi Lucy,

Pls find some comments inline.

Thanks,

Stephane

From: Lucy yong [mailto:lucy.yong@huawei.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 21:21
To: LITKOWSKI Stephane OBS/OINIS; idr@ietf.org

Hi Stephane, et al,

I read this draft and have some comments.

*         I like this approach to treat interfaceset as FS scope, not as matching, nor as action.

*         Instead of using group-identifier to express interfaceset in the EC, IMO: it is better to use interface type to identify the interfaceset and have IANA registry for each interface type. This will make interworking/automation easier. Any thought on that?

[SLI] Bruno Decraene raised on similar comment at the beginning of the draft , proposing some "well-known" interface-set. There was not a strong support for it considering that having a group-id will enable any scenario. Now regarding your proposal of having a specific interface type defined, I think it's really restrictive. I'm not opposite that someone creates new scope for specific interface types later but I would like to keep the generic approach in this draft. Creating well known group-ids may also be reconsidered.

*         IMO: Content in Sn 6 is very useful, however it does not belong to this draft. These rules for processing permanent configured and BGP FS apply to all BGP FS. It should be documented in one draft and apply to all BGP FS drafts. FS ACL is just one type of BGP FS, there are others as well. The rules should be described in general term.

I agree that there may be more iteractions to describe like Policy Based routing. But I think that this draft is a good place to describe it. The base flowspec does not precise where the rules must be applied, so it becomes up to implementation to place the rule where it best fits and manage interaction with other mechanism.

Now with this draft, we know that the rules will be pushed on a pr interface basis interacting with well known interface features. We cannot describe all for sure. I will try in the next revision to be more generic and still giving examples.

*         I am not clear what first sentence means in Sn 7. Does it say that some interfaces may not be able to support the rules? Pls explain.

[SLI] That's a question of scaling. With the base FS, the rule is applied in a single place, while here it may be "duplicated" in the forwarding plane and implementations will need to look at optimizations to prevent to create unnecessary states in the forwarding plane. I will see how to reword it.

Thanks,

Lucy