Re: [Idr] Revised proposed IDR charter

Danny McPherson <danny@tcb.net> Mon, 01 February 2010 07:58 UTC

From: Danny McPherson <danny@tcb.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 00:58:39 -0700
To: "John G. Scudder" <jgs@juniper.net>
Cc: idr List <idr@ietf.org>, idr-chairs@tools.ietf.org, idr-ads@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Idr] Revised proposed IDR charter

On Jan 28, 2010, at 1:53 AM, John G. Scudder wrote:

> The IDR working group also has an oversight role for all extensions made
> to BGP for other uses that may be developed in other working groups. IDR
> will review extensions made to BGP in other working groups at least at
> WG document adoption and during working group last calls. The IDR working
> group will also provide advice and guidance on BGP to other working groups
> as requested. In some cases the IDR WG chairs may work with the chairs of
> other working groups and the IESG to move BGP work into the IDR WG instead
> of the another WG.

How is it the IDR WG intends to be involved in WG document
adoption in other WGs (e.g., PWE3, L2VPN, L3VPN, etc..) from
a process perspective?  I can understand how cross-WG LCs
function, but not the adoption process.

Also, does this include WGs that are theoretically working only
in experimental mode?  For example, if LISP or some other
IRTF-RRG-work-gone-IETF-WG were to find it's way into modifying
(or otherwise employing) BGP, then IDR gets veto power on document
adoption?  This seems a bit tyrannical to me.

> Work Items:
>
> The IDR working group will work on correctness, robustness and
> scalability of the BGP protocol, as well as clarity and accuracy of the
> BGP document set.  The group will also work on extensions beyond these
> areas when specifically added to the charter.  The current additional
> work items are:
>
> - Relax the definition of BGP identifiers to only require AS-wide
>  uniqueness. This change must be made in a backward compatible way.
>
> - Specify a means to non-disruptively introduce new BGP Capabilities
>  to an existing BGP session.
>
> - Upgrade of the base BGP specification to Full Standard
>
> - Define AS_PATH based Outbound Route Filtering.
>
> - MIB v2 for BGP-4
>
> - Augment the BGP multiprotocol extensions to support the use of
>  multiple concurrent sessions between a given pair of BGP speakers.
>  Each session is used to transport routes related by some session-
>  based attribute such as AFI/SAFI. This will provide an alternative
>  to the MP-BGP approach of multiplexing all routes onto a single
>  connection.
>
> - Support for four-octet AS Numbers in BGP.
>
> - Revisions to the BGP 'Minimum Route Advertisement Interval'
>  deprecating the previously recommended values and allowing for
>  withdrawals to be exempted from the MRAI.

> - Advertisement of multiple paths for the same address prefix without
>  the new paths implicitly replacing any previous ones. Each path is
>  identified by a path identifier in addition to the address prefix.
>
> - Revised error handling rules for optional transitive BGP attributes
>  so that a BGP speaker is no longer required to reset the session
>  over which a malformed attribute is received. Provide guidelines
>  for authors of documents that define new optional transitive
>  attributes, and re-assess procedures for existing optional
>  transitive attributes
>
> - Specify Link Bandwidth Extended Community for use in unequal cost
>  load balancing.
>
> - The definition of an "Accumulated IGP Metric" attribute for BGP
>  to report the sum of the metric of each link along the path.
>  This attribute is for use in a restricted environment where:
>  - all ASes are subject to the administrative control
>  - some form of tunneling is used to deliver a packet to its next
>    BGP hop
>  - where the path for a route leads outside the AS to which the
>    BGP speaker adding the attribute belongs.

What's a restrictive environment again and how do we *guarantee*
this in BGP?

> - Advertisement of the best external route in BGP to assist with
>  resolution of the next hop in the chosen data plane.

Any chance we could add something here about minimizing BGP state,
everyone one of the options above aims to expand the number of
unique routes, whereas RRG and all the rest of the world are working
on scalability - all of this stuff seems to only lead to additional
state and churn to me.

-danny