Re: [Idr] Adam Roach's No Objection on draft-ietf-idr-shutdown-08: (with COMMENT)

Job Snijders <job@ntt.net> Wed, 24 May 2017 18:15 UTC

From: Job Snijders <job@ntt.net>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 18:15:26 +0000
To: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>, Job Snijders <job@ntt.net>, Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, aretana@cisco.com, draft-ietf-idr-shutdown@ietf.org, idr@ietf.org, idr-chairs@ietf.org, skh@ndzh.com
Subject: Re: [Idr] Adam Roach's No Objection on draft-ietf-idr-shutdown-08: (with COMMENT)

Do you have a text suggestion, or does what is proposed here work?

I'd also like to point out that it is strange to anticipate vendors
entirely ignoring normative text like "MUST". Spec violations should be
dealt with by robust error handling, and guidance from the market.

I consider it somewhat out of scope for the document to define, specify and
teach people what "visual spoofing attacks" are.

We'll remove the sentence about "confusion character", you are right that
it doesn't add much.

NEW

6.  Security Considerations

   This document uses UTF-8 encoding for the Shutdown Communication.
   There are a number of security issues with UNICODE.  Implementers and
   operator are advised to review UNICODE TR36 [UTR36] to learn about
   these issues.  UTF-8 "Shortest Form" encoding is REQUIRED to guard
   against the technical issues outlined in UTR36.  This
   specification minimizes the effects of visual syslog spoofing
attacks by limiting
   the length of the Shutdown Communication.

   Users of this mechanism should be aware that unless a transport that
   provides integrity is used for the BGP session in question, a
   Shutdown Communication message could be forged.  Unless a transport
   that provides confidentiality is used, a Shutdown Communication
   message could be snooped by an attacker.  These issues are common to
   any BGP message but may be of greater interest in the context of this
   proposal since the information carried in the message is generally
   expected to be used for human-to-human communication.  Refer to the
   related considerations in [RFC4271] and [RFC4272].

   Users of this mechanism should consider applying data minimization
   practises as outlined in Section 6.1 [RFC6973] as a received Shutdown
   Communication may be used at the receiver's discretion.

Kind regards,

Job