Re: [Idr] 6PE-Alt draft

"Rajiv Asati (rajiva)" <rajiva@cisco.com> Fri, 01 February 2008 20:22 UTC

Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 15:23:01 -0500
From: "Rajiv Asati (rajiva)" <rajiva@cisco.com>
To: Vishwas Manral <vishwas.ietf@gmail.com>, Jan Novak <jjjnovak@hotmail.com>
Cc: idr@ietf.org, "Francois Le Faucheur (flefauch)" <flefauch@cisco.com>, Ooms Dirk <dirk@onesparrow.com>
Subject: Re: [Idr] 6PE-Alt draft
Sender: idr-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Vishwas,

Good discussion.
It was interesting to see the following excerpt wrt 6VPE -

> become IPv6 and the network may still have IPv4. If the assumption
> that each device in the IPv6 networks has a Global IPv6 address (not
> that IPv6 site local has been deprecated), we can do without the
> entire BGP MPLS IPv6 VPN functionality.

Assuming PE-to-PE tunneling is still in place, yah, you are right from
the routing perspective in 6VPE. But how would we prohibit one IPv6 site
communicating with another IPv6 site belonging to different enterprises.

AFAIK, the benefit of having VRF is beyond just the routing. And that's
one of the key components of BGP IP VPN functionality. 6VPE indeed has
merits.

Perhaps, you intended to point to something else in BGP IPv6 VPN
functionality.

Cheers,
Rajiv